Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Possible 2nd 914

I must be nuts. I've come across a 73 1.8 for sale. I checked for rust at everywhere I could get to without tearing it apart. It's pretty rust free! More so than the one I have now was when I bought it. Body is in good shape except for drivers rear quarter panel. It was ripped up by rear wheel coming off? He cut out the affected area & welded in a new piece. Looks like a pretty solid job but he has not done the finish work yet. I did'nt get to drive it yet because the battery was dead. I did'nt have good cables to get it going(bummer). I'm going to check it out again this week. The car looks great except for said quarter panel. It has a hood crest & the rear reflector with trunk release. The interior is in pretty good shape. The engine has mod's & I'm not totally sure what they are. He said it has 2.0 pistons & was beefed up to 2500cc. All this was done by previous owner. It started running a little rough he said. To many projects is why he's selling it. So here is what I'm thinking. It is in better shape than my 73 2.0 was when I bought it for $1000. I know this from experience now.I have about $7500 in my 2.0 now & about 9 months of weekends. I figure I can either do a conversion or have Jake build me a nicely hoped up 2.0 motor. Please help cure my insanity. Good idea or BAD idea

Last edited by JRust; 03-17-2002 at 03:12 PM..
Old 03-17-2002, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Couple of options to think about...
1. Finish the work on the current 2.0 to your satisfaction and sell it before taking on another project.
2. Buy the second car and then consider an engine swap, etc. using the best parts from both cars.
3. Keep looking for another 914. Remember this truism however, there will always be another 914 out there that is better than the one you got!

In any event, it sounds like you will need to get a lot more information about the "for sale" car (engine mods, etc.) before you make a decision. Good luck!

Last edited by mejulihn; 03-17-2002 at 04:29 PM..
Old 03-17-2002, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Watch out...if you start down that road one day you will look in the back yard and see that they are spawing...I am up to four now :P

But seriously, I would say that you need to really figure out what you want in the car and what you would gain/lose with the new car. And then add it up...just know that there are almost always going to be those little supprises, some good, some bad. And you already know your car pretty well.

good luck,

Tony
Old 03-17-2002, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: