Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Resale value and changing colors?

I am looking at several 914s in the area, partly for education and partly because I want to get a pristine sample of a 914. My question is:
Since I do not like the colors that I am finding on these cars (original paint), can I change colors without reducing the value of an otherwise original 914?
Of course, the paint change would be a professional well done paint job. I have seen several 914s which "to make them more atractive" were given a quick cosmetic paint job, which is so cheap that the new owner, if he or she is knowledgeable, will have to remove before repainting it right. That is why some experts recommend buying cars with the original paint job even if it is faded.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Resale value really only counts if you sell the car. So put in that context, does it matter? (It might still matter to you, even in that context.)

Unless the particular 914 is a concours-winner (i.e., totally flawless) chances are that a good color-change paint-job won't hurt the resale value much. And even if it is a 10% hit, that's only about $500... So what the heck!

I probably wouldn't bother, unless I couldn't resist picking up a 914 but really hated the color.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-21-2002, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
I think that part of the charm of these cars is the 70's colors on them. I own a orange car which is pretty funky to say the least. If you don't like the 70's look find one of the more standard color cars like silver,white,black,red,or the metallics. I think those colors blend right in to today's cars.
Geoff
Old 03-21-2002, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't buy a car if it wasn't repainted the same color and I could tell. Are you going to completely strip the car inside and out, paint the bottom of the hoods, the trunks, the engine compartment, etc? That sounds like lots of work and an expensive paint job.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Love my color

OK I may be impartiall to Alaska Blue Metallic. The original color of the car by the way. Been repainted some ten years ago I guess. Still can't find the color code for the that brownish/ orange that trims out the undersides. RUST X3
Old 03-21-2002, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I think that color is of lessor importance to the 914 buying equation than the electrical, mechanical, running gear, and lack of rust.

If such a car comes around in the color you want, then get it. If not, and the other things are up to snuff, get it anyway and have it painted to a color you like. After all it is your car. You have to live with it. As Dave said, resale value is only important when you sell the car.

I purchased mine because it was virtually rust free and had lots of upgraded features (rebuilt engine, koni shocks, SS heat exchanger, etc). It was a very oxidized Olympic Blue that had to be repainted anyway. So I took the opportunity to have it professionally painted a color that I liked. It wasn't cheap, it's not an original Porsche color, but it looks good, gets lots of comments, and I've had several offers to buy it.

I'm happy, it's my car, it's unique. After I'm dead and my wife wants to sell it, let the other guy worry about the color.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I want to back up what Ron said - you no longer have the luxury of ordering a 914 in your favorite color, what's key is how rust free the chassis is. Think of it this way: what will cost you the most aggravation if not the most $$$ once you are the proud owner of your teener? I suspect it will be rust mitigation; even an engine rebuild is simpler, because it's a bounded problem.

So think about which funky 70's colors are the lesser evils, and find a RUST FREE example you can live with. I wanted red, found highway dept yellow (a more macho descr. than "sunflower" yellow), and am glad I did. Yellow seems to be coming back, and anything that will catch the attention of the "type A" on the cell phone in the Excursion closing fast on my six is a good thing.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I didn't like the color of my car when I bought it, but it was otherwise in great shape so I bit the bullet. (The car is Willow Green: think Kelly green, but louder & somehow greener.)

After almost a year now I really like the color and couldn't imagine changing it. Doing it right would run you a new one. Like Geoff said, the colors are an icon of the '70s, just like the car.

Mark
Old 03-21-2002, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: