Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

sway bar questions

My car does not have sway bars. If I add a sway bar to the front, will I get improved handling? Is it necessary to install one on the rear also? This is a street car only and I am only looking to make it corner a little better. What are the pros an cons of the mounting system which does not require gas tank removal?
Old 03-23-2002, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

robby, first determine if your car has the mounting tabs on the a-arms. i don't know of a sway bar set up that would not require tank removal,retro fitting will require installation of backing plates on the backside of the wheelwells to avoid tear out. for the money spent on that sb kit you might consider a shock/strut upgrade,better tires,and maybe stiffer torsion bars. the handling guru's might have better ideas.
Old 03-23-2002, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The front bar should improve the handling of a 914 with stock suspension. You won't need to add the rear bar, and in fact that might hurt the handling a little in some circumstances.

The only pro of the no-gas-tank-removal kit is that you don't have to remove the gas tank. Frankly, it's pretty cheesy IMHO. Don't bother with that; just pull the tank. With the regular kit, you get a nice backing plate with weld-nuts in it which helps to support the fender well. The non-removal kit is two U bolts per side, which doesn't do anything at all to help the fender well. And is cheesy to boot.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-23-2002, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If I buy a used sway bar, will the Welmeister installation kits work?
Old 03-23-2002, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I think the Weltmeister kit will work... I'm not sure if the stock bushings will fit in the Weltmeister mounting bracket, though. If not, you'll want to use the stock fenderwell bracket. That does have the same bolt spacing as the Weltmeister bracket, so you can use the Weltmeister inner plate with the weld-nuts on it.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-23-2002, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Pulling the tank is a GOOD idea. It forces you to replace the 30 year old braided fuel lines that will split and leak when you pull it out......

As to used sway bars.....it depends on if it is a stock one or an after market one....last time I checked the stock ones DID NOT have adjustable drop links.....but the ADAPTER kit will allow an install of a stock bar.
Old 03-23-2002, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: