Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

engine wont restart when warm or hot

I've got a 74 914 2.0 that when you drive it for a while then turn it off wont start back up until it sits for a long while. To get it to start without setting you have to put your foot on the gas full throdle and crank and crank until it finaly starts.I pulled a plug wire off and checked for spark, and there was. And the plug I checked was dry. Does anybody have any ideas?

79 vw rabbit
Old 07-23-2002, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

if it only happens when it's really warm out then it could be the vapor lock problem 914s are known for. I think the pelican tech articles have some fixes for it.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you have spark, then there must not be any fuel? Get a fire extinguisher handy. When hot, turn on the key and move the throttle shaft and you should hear the burrrrp of the injectors. If not the FI points may be failing as I had a set that did this when they were hot, after replacement the trouble went away. If they fire, remove an injector (very carefully) put it in a can and try to fire the injectors to see if fuel comes out the injector? The fuel pump could also be failing when hot or vapor locking so there is no pressure? Good luck
Old 07-24-2002, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Could this also be yet another Head Temp Sensor issue?
Since I replaced mine fo rth esecond time, also sorts of issues have gone away. cheap fix, too.

Old 07-24-2002, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: