Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

End of Summer Projects

Dear 914 Owners:

For 2003 I'm looking for several 914 DIY projects to publish in 9 Magazine. If anyone has a project scheduled to be "started and completed" in the next few months, would you please e-mail me. I would like to have you take step by step photos and a write a few lines of instructions per photo.

Thanks,

Brian Minson
9 Magazine
http://www.9magazine.net
Old 08-14-2002, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have been doing this for several years.

You must be new...LOL

B
Old 08-14-2002, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well then, contact me with several of the projects you are working on or have completed.

Brian Minson
9 Magazine
http://www.9magazine.net
Old 08-14-2002, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
I've got the perfect "End of Summer Project" for you. I already have most of the details worked out. Here's what is going on:

On Monday, September 23rd, film crews from PBS and the Speed Channel are coming to my place to record this project. Four times a year, I completely replace the seasonal air in the tires on my 914. This time I'm going to get rid of all of that old Summer air and replace it with nice, fresh Autumn air. It may sound like a simple process, but it is actually quite detailed. First, you have to remove the valve stem covers. Then, using a special tool called a "stick", let the Summer air out. After that comes the fun part when you get to install the new Autumn air. Then, you get to check the pressure with another special tool called a "tire pressure gauge". If everything checks out, you can then reinstall the valve stem covers and the celebration begins.

I see no reason why we can't snap a few stills of the procedure and send them off to your magazine. I need all the publicity I can get for my upcoming DVD, "The Importance of Seasonal Air".

Also, I will soon be reinstalling the Taraga (sic) Top on my 914. Again, another detailed process where you have to lock-down four (4) latches, whew! Would you like pictures of that procedure as well?
Old 08-15-2002, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That's not nice (but it IS funny!)
Old 08-15-2002, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Uh Oh! It's gonna get ugly!

Uh, I thought I would add this:

Hi, My name is ______. I'm trying to get the average reader more involved in 9 Magazine by publishing their projects. If you have a project, would like it published and are willing to devote some time to image taking and notes, I would be greatly appreciative your time and energy. I can't currently pay you for this effort, but maybe could offer a free subscription for those projects selected.

Thank you,

Ok! Now I'm ready for the flames!

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"

Last edited by Ron Meier; 08-15-2002 at 06:50 PM..
Old 08-15-2002, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to RichMason
I'm missing something...

Is there a large population of disgruntled 914 owners who have been ruthlessly exploited by Porsche magazines? I can understand why some of you who run large shops and racing teams may not want to put out effort to have your projects featured in a for-profit magazine without a cut but is there something about 9 that should keep others from working with them? If 9 want to come to my house and take pictures of me disassembling my 914 in my dirt floor shed so I can replace my engine shelf and a piece of my firewall or watch me replace my pistons with judicious use of a large hammer, they are more than welcome. I'm quite sure that it won't help them sell magazines though.
I would be interested, however, in seeing such articles when they focus on people with some skill in these areas (such as the PP tech articles). While Excellence has great pictures and lots of history, the Porsche world is too big (and expensive) for me to get something useful for my 914 out of most issues. A practical DIY focus (not that I think that 9 has this in mind necessarily) in a magazine focused on early 911s and 914s would induce me to change my subscription.
Old 08-16-2002, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rich, et al -

I purposely modifed the original message to, in my mind, make the idea slightly more palatable to the "back yard" mechanic or shop. When your bleeding from busted knuckles, covered with engine & gear oil, sweatly, etc, the idea of crawling out from underneath the car, taking pictures and taking notes without blood and grease spots doesn't sound real appealing for NOTHING.

I would not expect a shop or a racer to give away developed procedures / secrets to a profit oriented venture for zip or give them away at all in a public forum. When I raced, I was given hints but not step by step information. What I spent money on developing, I wasn't going to give to someone for free.

I've been in sales for 30+ years - I would have never written that request the way it was. Brad and others may have been more amenable to the idea if presented in another fashion. Of course, I have been know to be wrong (at least once).

The idea is good, the execution of the request was a bit poor and yes - Mr Heery's reply was hilarious and to the point.

Old 08-16-2002, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

As soon as the TV crews arrive on the scene call me, I will fly in with my 110 camera and snap a few photos.

Writers get paid, and from what I understand we pay around the same rate as other independent automotive magazines in the marketplace.

Most people enjoy seeing their name and car in a national publication available at the major bookstores and newsstands. I guess there is a few who feel having a little press who destroy their lives or something.

Just allowing an opportunity for those who might not have an opportunity for an older Porsche to be featured in a publication.

But to those who have been e-mailing me with your project ideas, thank you!

Brian Minson
9 Magazine
http://www.9magazine.com
Old 08-16-2002, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I don't understand all the anger. it was a simple request, if you want to do it, do it, it not, leave it alone. I think some of us are forgetting we're driving cars valued at less than a ford focus. I say no reason to be snotty, save that for the 996 guys on rennlist.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
[rant]
I really donít think itís a matter of anger. Itís more along the lines of directed ridicule. From my perspective, 9Magazine has established a less-than-stellar reputation on the Pelican boards in a very short time. And now, with his very unprofessional approach, the publisher has alienated a few more people.

Had the publisher used an approach similar to what was suggested by Ron, this thread would have either died very quickly or been full of legitimate project suggestions. However, the lack of clarity and explanation in his request came off as What can you give me? versus Can you help me out?

With that said, I do have quite a few 914 projects that I soon will be undertaking. I will be taking pictures and recording notes along the way. However, I will not be submitting them to any publication even if they are offering payment. I will post my projects on my website and announce their availability here. I have learned so much from the people that frequent this board that I feel the need to return the favor.

To this point, I have not provided a lot of valuable content to this community. Yet, I do try to jump in and help out when I can. I would call this limited value. What value has 9Magazine provided to this community? In my opinion, the publisher has come here and acted much like a carpetbagger looking to exploit the community for his own gain.
[/rant]
Old 08-16-2002, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Ah, Paul .... the air change comments had tears rolling down my cheeks.....
Old 08-16-2002, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I wanna see the Ford Focus 30 years from now!

Old 08-16-2002, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
LOL!! I sure don't!!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-16-2002, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

ahhh well, I guess it's human nature to automatically bicker.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

To inhabit this or any other boards, you have to have a great sense of humor and a thick skin. We're a bunch of "good time persons " (politically correct), looking for a place to happen. Well, you just stumbled on the place and, for the moment, it's happening.

I, personally, am having a little fun with it AND not at the expense of 9 or anyone else. Some of the humor is really creative( Ok Paul, that's your last kudo).

Brad, Brad, Paul, Jeff, Jake, Dave, James, and many others provide FREE information and discussions of problems. All 9 has to do is raid the archives and it'll have articles for years. When approached in an appropriate manner, most everyone goes outta their way. Guess you could say we're cyber friends as most of us have never met, but almost respect each other's opinion. Hell, I even pay attention to Dark Dave on occasion and I'm sure he thinks I'm a big ********* after the Biannual Flesh Roasting at Glenn's.

Bickering - Nah! Just don't compare a Focus to a 14 again; the Focus is overpriced

Old 08-16-2002, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

ron,

there are a lot of boards I frequent. others of which are the rennlist 993/996 board, a land rover forum, and an autobody discussion. the land rover guys are the worst, they are just waiting to cyber pounce on anyone they don't like, any trucks they don't like, or anything else for that matter. with a little practice though, I think the 914 guys can surpass them! LOL now if you want to meet a bunch of nice and truly helpful people, visit the forum at www.autobodystore.com. no egos there. yeah you are right, this is a great board, just lately not sure what is up with all the people poking fun at others cars, prices, mods, etc.

anyways...
Old 08-16-2002, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Here is what bothered me most about his post;

1. Nobody..I mean nobody in the magazine world needs to post something about needing content. I live less than 3 blocks from Excellence AND will never get anything published by them. He should already know who the movers and shakers are of the 914 community. If he doesnt, then he hasnt done his homework.

2. My customers are local. I used to think *global* but its a waste of time. 9 is read by a couple hundred people who see him here on the PP BBS.

3. I'm sure he is a nice guy with the latest publishing software.

B << gave up on doing cool stuff for print.
Old 08-17-2002, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Hey B who are the movers and shakers in this community? I have an idea, but who really knows their stuff? I have met a few people here and there, but usually they are just another car owner to me. All I wanna know is who is the Elvis "king" of the 914 crowd. LOL
Old 08-19-2002, 02:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

a number of you cinical guys need to take some happy pills. on my new car i'm in the process of doing some minor repairs that the average garage mechanic might find daunting. i'm not talking about dropping in a 6, putting on bmw calipers,or a 5 lug conversion. say your car had ac that you want to remove. the pass side engine shelve was notched. would it be bennifical to know that the sweep of the curve on the drivers side when laid out correctly will fit perfect? try and tell me it will not work, it was done on my car yesterday.

so if i should decide to snap a few digitals, write a few sentences and submit them you can laugh all you want. as for a guy trying to make a go of it and implying he's taking advantage of the poor, pathetic porsche owner by inviting them to participate... give me a break. go ahead and flame. i can delete faster than you can type.

kevin powers
Old 08-19-2002, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: