Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

clutch problem

Need some help, I change my clutch cable and at first gears were ok except for ,when in 2ND it would make this popping sound especially when i decelerated.
The cable also kept on falling of the harness(not sure if thats the name for the part were the cable loops to the throw out bar). I spot welded the clip and put it all back together,but now i have no gears and I had to put a lot of washers to be able to get it adjusted the clutch...
Hoping that is nothing major, but I kind think migth need a new clutch?
So first things first, can any body help..
Oh yea is a tail shifter tyranny..
Thanks in advance.
914Chango
Old 06-01-2014, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying. The cable won't stay on the pulley that's on the trans? If that's the case, I'm not surprised that you have to use lots of washers to get it adjusted. Actually, come to think of it, I am surprised that it can be adjusted at all...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 06-01-2014, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

From what you describe, the clutch cable tube through the center tunnel has come adrift. Installation (repairs) are gonna require a competent welder and about an hour's time. Repairs to the firewall, including fabricating and welding in a plate to handle the load may extend that time. It's important that the tube be secure at ALL THREE fastening points, and welding is definitely preferred to attempting to clamp the tube in place. Do it once, do it right. We can probably help you find an expert near you if you'll tell us where you are.

The Cap'n
Old 06-02-2014, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

thanks for ur help, The harnes is bolted on the trans. It has the plastic weel were the cable loops and hooks to the ,not sure what is call,the lever that actives the clutch it self.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
There should be a thing that looks like a washer with a tab sticking out the side of it. That goes over the cable, and fits in the notch on the end of the sheath. The tab goes through the hole in the clutch roller bracket, and that holds the cable in place.

If your adjustment has suddenly changed a lot, the Cap'n's assessment is the most likely one--the clutch tube in the center tunnel has come detached. If you remove the gear shift lever and look in, you can see the clutch cable. If it moves left to right when you push the pedal, the tube is detached.

A visual inspection of where the cable comes out of the firewall can also tell you if the tube has broken loose at that point.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 06-04-2014, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914chango View Post
thanks for ur help, The harnes is bolted on the trans. It has the plastic weel were the cable loops and hooks to the ,not sure what is call,the lever that actives the clutch it self.
By "Harness" do you mean the "sheath" thru which the cable passes thru?

there are two sheaths, a steel tube, about 1/4 inch diameter that runs thru the tunnel in the body, it is hidden, but the end of this tube sticks out at the motor's firewall under the car, this sheath is also known as a "conduit". Now at this point, the flexible sheath is used, from the firewall to the transmission. The flexible sheath is retained at the transmission end with a metal clip secured to the bracket which is holding the cable wheel, or pulley.
The cable passes out of the flexible sheath at the transmission end and goes around the plastic wheel or pulley 180 degrees, the cable then attaches via a triangular piece of metal drilled to allow the cable to pass thru, this part provides a pivot point to push on the clutch arm as the cable pulls it. A pair of hex lock nuts allow for adjustment on the treaded end of the cable at transmission.

you must have about half an inch of freeplay at the clutch, this freeplay is usually adjusted at the transmission end of the cable via the threaded end and pair of lock hex nuts. If you have not set freeplay before, as a helper to get under car and grab the clutch arm, then you press the clutch pedal in and ask the help to shout out when he first detects the arm coming up to the clutch, at that point, you should have moved the pedal about half an inch from the top of travel. Any less play and the clutch may slip, any more and you may grind gears when shifting. It MUST be right

The metal clutch cable sheath inside the tunnel is welded in a few spots to the tunnel wall to prevent flexing. Sometimes a weld will fail, then another, and soon the sheath is loose in the tunnel. The cable inside it is under high tension when you step on the clutch, and hence will move the loose sheath around. This creates "false motion" of the cable, messing up the fine free play adjustment. the sheath must be rewelded back in place.

I is not too difficult, I have used a MIG welder for this, I have seen repairs with brazing, but that requires a lot more heat,.

basically you remove the shifter and access panels, and move the broken loose sheath to where it should be, then drill a 3/16 inch hole where you want the welds to be (Put one on each side of sheath) then clamp the sheath in place between the two holes you drilled, remember you are working from the outside, the sheath is inside the tunnel and you have to pry and wedge or clamp to hold this sheath in place, thigh up against the inner wall of the tunnel. Once located you can place a weld thru your holes onto the metal sheath and joint the bead to the tunnel wall.

you do need to take great care with fire, the tunnel contains two plastic gasoline tubes, and a main wire bundle

what is making the popping sound and when?
Old 06-04-2014, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

thank you cabinetmaker,lots of info, kept on hearing about the tunnel and when looking at the area could not figure out how to do the welding, it now makes sence.
The popping noice im talking about is on 2nd gear,when i shift into it gear goes in fine i give it gas and it pops almost as if 2nd gear wants to disengage,but then when i let the gas go like to stop the gear starts to pop as in kind of a grindding noice, I thought may be the gear bar need it to be adjusted,adjusted the bar the best i could,right after changing all the plastic bushings,and still the same problem,I do have the tail ****er trans.
Iwill mention that today, after putting everything together, I HAVE NO GEARS, I READJUSTED THE CABLE TO THE PREVIOUS POSSITION AND HAVE NO GEARS. THE CAR IS RUNNING GEARS GO IN BUT THEY DONT ENGAGE NOR DO THE GRIND.
FOR NOW IM DONE...
i THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR INFO..
Old 06-04-2014, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You have multiple issues. Look at the inner CV joints and bolts!

The Cap'n
Old 06-04-2014, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: