Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Swapping out 1.8L and Advice Sought

Last month I bought a 75 1.8L that seems to have a really solid body. It has been sitting in non-running condition in the PO's barn for about 10 years. My idea is to really take my time on this one - take it all apart, clean it up, and enjoy the process. I'm swapping out the 1.8L for a 2056 complete with FI.

My overall question: what do I do with the 1.8L?

a) Is it worth some investment in time and parts getting it basically running so I can verify condition of the engine and FI that I don't need (PO says it was in driving condition when he put it in the barn, but it has 10 years of neglect) as well as those things I DO need like tranny/drive train? I'm not sure I want to start learning and troubleshooting L-Jet at this point when I'm going back to D-Jet (and I see in another thread the Cap'n says L-Jets are very intolerant of vacuum leaks, which I'm sure this has in spades). It also delays me from my goal of largely tearing this down to start over.

b) Should I just go ahead and start parting it out? I'm not sure what these components are worth in unknown condition - not looking to make a bunch of money so much as get rid of what I don't need. Engine is probably just a core at this point, right? What else might be of use to 1.8L owners (e.g., ECU)?

c) Somehow find the time and other resources needed to install it in my Karmann Ghia

Sorry - largely thinking out loud at this point, but if anyone has thoughts I'm interested in hearing them. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

check oil level, fill if needed*, and see if she cranks over with new battery. If so proceed to shoot some starter spray in the intake and see if she fires, indication you got spark. then put some new gas in the tank and see if the fuel system works.

If the don't have an oil pressure gage, at last hook on up temporary like in the engine bay to see how good it is. If she runs, get her warmed up a bit and measure oil pressure and then do a warm motor compression test / leak down test as needed.

when testing be sure to check for frayed wires (rodent damage!!!) before hooking up a battery. Both right after fueling and after first priming the pump, inspect the entire fuel system for leaks before starting the car.

that is what I would try.

*note... oil should be checked for goodness, if old oil is bad looking , replace it. also inspect air filter.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: