Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What does this do?

I have a 2.0L 76 Californian car. I am just trying to get to know the engine and have a few questions regarding the fuel injection and hoses.

Is there a good diagram showing the hose connections for a 2,0L car?

It looks like the PO has mounted a plate over one of the hose connections on the air filter see pic under what was this connected to?

[IMG][/IMG]

There is also this any ideas what it is? It looks like its been disconnected and the hose plugged.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
Old 07-20-2014, 02:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

both pics show parts of the smog system plugged off. Your car is better off with out those connected !
I am certain the smog air pump is not mounted either (located over the fan housing near the passenger compartment wall)
Old 07-20-2014, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the info.

Whats the thing shown on the second pic is it the EGR valve and can I remove the metal pipe and together with EGR valve?

The charcoal filter is still in position I guess I can remove this also. Cant see any smog pump mounted over the fan housing. Does anyone have a pic showing it mounted.

Thanks again
Old 07-20-2014, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If you follow the tube from that valve, it will lead you to the air injector tubes in the cylinder heads. You can remove all the tubing / valve. BUT will need to find a way to plug the holes in the cylinder heads

The carbon cannister is a good item to keep as it helps filter the fumes from the gas tank. Make sure it is connected properly to the gas tank and air cleaner
Old 07-21-2014, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks

Appreciate the help
Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

First picture: The port in the air cleaner housing where the EGR pipe connects. Second picture: The one-way valve for the Air Injection System (AIS) Supplementary air from the air pump is pushed through this valve and down through the air injector pipes into the exhaust ports. The valve prevents exhaust gasses from flowing up the system and into the air pump. If you remove this plumbing, you will need to plug the air injection pipes. The upper threads are metric, and caps are available from good hardware suppliers. Some folks say there's a pipe cap that fits, and that may be true. "Fits" is a term some use rather loosely. I've always brazed them closed. If you remove the pipes, remember the external ring near the lower middle of the shaft is what seals the connection at the exhaust port. I've heard of using valve adjuster screws to plug the holes, but they don't really tighten, and Loctite can't really do the job properly, especially on old, heat damaged threads. If the plumbing is there and sealed off, and it's presence doesn't offend you, it's OK to just leave it alone.

The Cap'n
Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks Capīn,

Can you tell me what the EGR pipe does?
Old 07-26-2014, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

"EGR" is "Exhause Gas Recirculation. The system allows a small amount of exhaust gas to be introduced into the intake system. This lowers combustion temperatures under part throttle conditions in order to lower the amount of NOx gasses in the exhaust. Primitive in the 914, the system became more complex and precise in later years. The 3 way catalysts in modern cars have taken over much, if not all, of that function. In California versions of the 914, the gasses were picked up AFTER the catalytic converter. Big mistake! If the monolith in the converter began to break up, and they did, particles of ceramic material were introduced into the intake. Think "dumping sand into the cylinders". The plumbing consisted of 2 long pieces of pipe, connected end to end, that ran from the before the primary muffler, across the back of the transmission, and up to meet the engine mounted plumbing in the firewall tin on the right side of the engine near the bell housing. It rotted away from the moisture laden hot (but rapidly cooling) exhaust gasses passing through. 911s of the era have a similar system, but it's somewhat more sophisticated and made of stainless steel.

The Cap'n
Old 07-26-2014, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks,

Nicely explained
Old 07-27-2014, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: