Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
Road and Track on possible new entry level Porsche

It says that it may use the Boxster's engine, but it does not say where the engine will be located (maybe in the middle where it should be??)

Let the comments and speculation begin.

Old 10-04-2002, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think for 22k or so I would much rather have the new
MiniCooper S - which looks like a pretty cool car. Still
have to test drive one. Looks like tons of fun.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
A Flat-6, maybe mid-engined? Like ... WHERE, under the driver's seat?!

And Lordy, let's not consider a Subaru-esque, somewhat 924/944/968 arrangement; flat-6 bow, transaxle stern. Heck, for that they could've kept the 968 around, freshening it up while introducing a "detuned" (read: hotrod-able) version of the (coming) Cayenne powerplant.

Sure, I'll give the M Coupe it's due; it's has animal performance. But the "styling" keeps conjuring up three words in my head; jus' plain fugly.

From some angles it looks like it's folding in half, or suffering the dreaded "914 Sag" ...

Old 10-04-2002, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Looks like a cross btwn a CRX and the M. Something like that is usually refered to as a half breed or "MUTT"!
Oh PUHLEESE Missa Porsche, donbe givin'us no Mutts.........
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 10-04-2002, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Next thing you know they'll put a VW motor in it or something. You'd think they'd have learned.
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 10-04-2002, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The last thing I read said if they did this it would be based on the next version of the Audi TT platform (read Golf/Beetle) with a turbo 1.8 Adui sourced powerplan (read VW).

Unless it is mid engined and sports a Traga top they could never talk me into it...

Of course we all bought 914s didn't we.

Damn that Porsche mystique ;-}
Old 10-04-2002, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Mockmaw Send a message via AIM to Mockmaw
First thing I thought was BMW 318ti.. don't like em, don't like the sketch.. then again, I have neither the cash nor inclination to purchase a new vehicle..
Old 10-04-2002, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Why can't they copy something good? Miura? MR2? Elan? 914? Hellooooo!

For that price, my next entry level Porsche will be a fully restored 914 3.2!

Scott
Old 10-04-2002, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Kinda resembles a bug-eyed Ford Focus Hatchback with a ground effects kit from JC Whitney.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Kind of looks to me like Porsche is trying to follow succesfull trends, crazes and fads. Then use there Mystique and name to back it up and move the merchandise. I'm sure there is a market for it(i.e. GTI, Corrado and some ricer guys), but at what cost. Will it lower there mystique? In my opinion, i think it will. When I think of Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborgini and Lotus I think of all out sports cars. I know Lambo Made the LM and just ask someone what a Jalpa is(although not cheep, it was cheeper). You will more likely than not get a confused look from them. What did these two vehicles do for Lambo? In my opinion NOTHING! If they wanted to make these new vehicles then more power to them, but just do what the big three did. Make a seperate devision for them. Oh well I don't really care I guess. They don't care about me. They made that loud and clear when they disassociated themselves from the 914 and badmouth it in books. I even have one book with a quote from Ferry where he takes a shot at my favorite car. I think his father God rest his soul, would have respected the 914. After all he would not have shunned it as a VW, HE WAS VOLKSWAGON! Oh well in my honest opinion I think porsche styling took a nose dive after the 993. Given the money I would not buy one. Well, then again maybe a Boxter. That car seems to be getting shunned by certain groups. Guess I am just a glutton for punishment. Sorry for the rant.

DANO
Old 10-04-2002, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Looks kinda like a PT Cruiser that got crunched at both ends. And on top, for that matter...
Old 10-04-2002, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
Looks like hell , isn't mid-engined, and I don't need no back seats. I'd rather spend the same amount of money on a 1.7L 914 in good shape, restore it and drop a 2.7L six into it, for a car that would blow that crapbox off the road.

Next, please.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

to me that means $29,999. i don't know about other areas but most new car dealers in wa have an "adjusted market value", because the auto in question is desireable in the local market. funny, the number is never on the down side, and they can not explain why a car that has been on the lot for a month or so is such a hot ticket. so with the "amv", sales tax (if any), licensing costs, floor mats and what not, it's going to be well over $40 K.

while pondering that "amv", consider the people that JUST HAD to have the first issue miatas, pt cruisers, and yes the new minis. it's like three card monty. use your 14 for a trade in, show them the reciepts, tell them "it's a very desireable car, and you'll take $7500 trade in value". good luck.

kevin

Last edited by Kevin Powers; 10-05-2002 at 06:40 AM..
Old 10-05-2002, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: