Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sealing heads

I built a 100mm x 66mm type 4 engine. I had lapped in the cylinders to the heads and yet 3 out of the four leaked. I have pulled the engine apart again. Now, how do I get these heads to seal?
Old 11-30-2014, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Make sure they're round, for one thing. Make sure the ends are parallel to each other, and perpendicular to the bore, for another. Check that the registers in the head are flat and co-planar with each other. And check that the surfaces in the case that the cylinders seat to haven't started shifting or collapsing.

The large cast-iron cylinders are not known for being super-high quality, BTW. That's why measuring them is critical.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-30-2014, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

My cylinders are birals, heads have been resurfaced. I will check the deck next. What about copper Orings for head gaskets.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Copper O-rings will crush and need to be re-torqued. Possibly periodically. They are not usually recommended any more; they were slightly better regarded about 20 years ago but not now.

Birals do not guarantee a quality product. Some of them have had mediocre QC, while some have been of good quality. I'm not aware of anyone who makes them at the current time for 914s. It seems like the Nikasil-plated cylinders don't cost an immense amount more to make, and don't have to worry about proper crush fit and so forth. If all the case and head measurements pan out, it might be worth considering getting a set of Nickies...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-01-2014, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: