Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New frontend and not sure what to do ...

I have my new (to me) 911 front-end pieces and rear conversion pieces ready to install.

I want to put my 914 back on the ground (Its been 2 years off the ground) I have everything needed to out it back on the ground.

Should I install the rotors, calipers, bleed the system..etc now? Will the rotors and calipers react bad to sitting all winter? I think I can put the drivers seat back in and drive it up and down the street once a week it that will keep things in good shape.

NOTE!! The car is stored outside..

Is there a trick to getting the alignment close enough to get to the shop? I have new turbo ties.

I am sending the car to the paint shop in the spring (no sense and having it painted just to sit all winter).

914-6 in the Werks
Old 11-08-2002, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Would it make any sense to put the car together and take it to the body shop in the winter so they can take their time and do a nice job as a fill-in project? You would have the car available for the first nice spring day and it would be inside the body shop instead of outside your place. A thought.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
You should be able to use a string line to get the alinement close enough to drive. That how I do mine. There is probably a tech article about this somewhere on the web.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 11-08-2002, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I WISH I was at that point.

I still need to add an A/C system, get my gauges wired and working along with some interior items/wiring during the winter months.

I could have it painted maybe in Feb '03 but I would be so worried about scratches.. I at least one one crisp cleen run in my teener before a scratch.

Thanks for the idea.

I was thinking about looking for a garage to rent for 3 months. But that is $$$$ better spent on the car

Kerry

914-6 in the Werks
Old 11-08-2002, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'd start it now and except for some rust on the rotors nothing bad should happen. For doing a home alignment, checkout the article I have in the Tech Articles Section. Some hints, make sure that you are working on a level surface, put a weight in the drivers seat to simulate your being in the car, take your time, measure the fender openings on both sides to get car level, set the car so it is slightly nose down, take your time, roll the car back and forth when making a change. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: