Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Conversion Update - Website Updated

Making some progress on my six conversion.

You can see the progress pics on my site at http://www.iepg.com/914

I wish I had a bigger garage. One is in the works for our new house.

I have more stuff for sale. See my For Sale section.

Regards,
Old 12-01-2002, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Very nice site there, Karl. You must do that for a living. Anyway, I see you are using the stock 911 sway bar. What did you do to tighten up the slop in those original rubber bushings?
Old 12-01-2002, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Karl,

Watching your progress closly. Can you explain the procedure for the oil cooler install? I see the cut-out, but where do the lines route through? What type of cooler r u using?

Thanks

73 Olympic Blue 914 1.7L (2L /4 back in progress)
69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914
Old 12-01-2002, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Front suspension was installed by the PO. I haven't messed with it yet.

For the front, I plan the following...

Tie rod upgrade
Rebuild front calipers
Install Bilstein Sports
Stainless brake lines
New A-arm bushings

The rear will get the following...

Refinish rear trailing arms (no busings, no bearings, and new paint).
Install Bilstein Sports with adjustable coilovers and 1?? pound springs).
Install correct 5-lug hub
Rear Carrera Rotors
Rear Carerra Calipers
Old 12-01-2002, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The oil cooler is a Setrab unit from Patrick Motorsports.

I'm gonna flip the cooler over and mount the lines along the passenger side (through heater duct), and out through the rear heater pipe, under or over the engine mount, and to the engine area.

There is a fiberglass shroud that covers the cooler and holes will be cut in the floor pan to facilitate exaust of hot oil cooler air.

I have yet to get to the front area to cut the oil line holes. Have to remove the fuel tank first.

Fuel tank refurbishment is in my future (while the car is at the body shop).

Regards,
Old 12-01-2002, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I am using 916 bumpers, and I think I will cut out the front, center scoop (plate mount). Is it okay to mount the cooler outside the front trunk, space permitting, behind the bumper cover?

Thanks again,

73 Olympic Blue 914 1.7L (2L /4 back in progress)
69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914
Old 12-01-2002, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I've seen it done. It depends on the bumper you are using. I am not intimately familiar with the fiberglass 916 bumpers.

Spend some time searching through the archives to see what you can find.

Regards,

Karl
Old 12-01-2002, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Whoa! Go man, go! That's what I call a productive weekend!

That makes me want to start my winter projects too... but the rain gods have foresaken the Great Northwest for now, so I'm still on the road... although this no heat stuff is starting to bug me as the morning temps approach freezing....

Love the website too.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Lookin' good. Man, when that thing is done, Id love to see/hear it roar off into the sunset!
Old 12-01-2002, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Originally posted by korijo
I am using 916 bumpers, and I think I will cut out the front, center scoop (plate mount). Is it okay to mount the cooler outside the front trunk, space permitting, behind the bumper cover?

Thanks again,
There's no room between the 916 'glass bumper and the fornt of the car. Where would the air go anyway with the cooler flat up against the front metal. Put it in the trunk like everyone else, or you might try somwhere in back with a fan. Shorter lines, another thing to add (thermostatic switch for fan).
Old 12-01-2002, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Zeke, Korijo:

I assumed you were going to cut a hole in the front of the car to allow the air to pass through, even though you want to mount it in front of the bumper.

But Zeke is right, if you just mount it in front, no air will be able to pass "through" the cooler.

There are also airdams and front spoilers that will allow you to mount the cooler in front and direct the airflow below the car.

Regards,
Old 12-01-2002, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
korijo,

Another thing to consider in the oil cooler placement is that (heaven forbid this should ever happen) the fiberglass bumpers will offer little protection to that vital (and costly) oil cooler if its sitting immediately behind the bumper. Even a slight 5-10 MPH mishap would toast the bumper and the oil cooler, leaving the 914 stranded and bleeding all over the road!

Oohh the agony! Oohh the pain!

OK, I'll lighten up.

PS: I like your choice of wheels. And in 4-bolt at that!
Old 12-02-2002, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: