Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lowering question.

I would like to get rid of the stock "nose-high" attitude of my 74 1.8. Do I just measure from the ground to the fender lip and make all four corners equal? Or do I use some other point on the car to measure from?

Sasquatch
Old 12-03-2002, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Personally, i use the center of my front tire to the fender lip then compare to the ground.

Seeing as you will be under there... I would make the front suspension cross bar level.

Too low you may need rack spacers.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I use the seam on the flooor pan and a 4" piece of 2x4
Old 12-03-2002, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

the fender lips are different front to back. the front is easy to adjust, but to low and the handling ' goes away'.
01 f250 psd dirty the mule
60 correct craft starflite cool
69 correct craft torino hauls butt
72 correct craft ski nautique fun
66 vw 1500s will finish someday
Old 12-03-2002, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I agree with Tryan,

Lowering too far and you'll degrade the steering/handling characteristics, unless you're doing more to the suspension. I'm actually going to raising mine about 3/4in, front & rear.

Also, I found the fender lips to be somewhat unreliable side-to-side, as there can be variations from assembly. So I started checking at the jack donuts (front & rear). Here you have to be careful too, to be sure they're not damaged/bent as it will affect your measurements. Be sure to cycle the suspension after adjustments before checking measurements.

Enjoy!
Old 12-03-2002, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all the good information. The jack donuts on my car are in pristine condition. I just want to get the car flat, then I can corner balance the car. I gotta put that $1200 set of corner scales to use somehow in the winter time. I ordered a new set of shocks all the way around, and I am going to get springs for the rear, probably the 140lb ones. I think I will wait untill then to set all the ride heights.

Sasquatch
Old 12-03-2002, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: