Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thumbs up Thanks for the Help

I've been reading threads and using the PP tech articles for about 3 weeks now. The info has allowed me to accomplish much more than I dreamed I was capable of. Since starting I've changed push rod tube seals, installed a new clutch cable, new SS heat exchangers, a new MSD ignition, new throttle position switch, new vacuum hoses, upgraded to 320i front brakes, and chased down plenty of old nagging electrical problems related primarily to poor grounds. I've learned a ton and best of all the car is running super.

If it hadn't been for this site I never would have tried any of this.

Thanks to all of you, I hope someday I can pass on some knowledge and be as helpful as you have all been.

74 2.0 D-jet
Old 12-04-2002, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Nice post.....now time to join up!
http://members.rennlist.com/washington_state_914s/

Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 12-04-2002, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Lightbulb

Ok, I'll do it this evening
Old 12-04-2002, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Congrats on working on your own car. Find a 'good' 914 wrench is difficult at best. These cars are not that hard to work on if you take your time.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

DNHunt, Sounds like you've been busy! I am curious about your MSD installation. What unit did you use and have you got your tachometer working with it? Did you use an MSD tach adapter? I've read mixed reviews of this and it seems it works in some cases, but not all. Thanks.

Mike
Old 12-05-2002, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

With the MSD Ignition I followed the Instructions and parts list in the Tech Article and it worked without a problem.

The only problem I have ever had with the tach was that when the dash got hot from sitting in the sun or having the defrost on sometimes the tach would not work or stick at a low rpm. I always figured it had something to do with expansion of different parts at different rates, so I thought I probably would have to live with it. Since I was doing all this work I thought I might check it out.

Turns out the lenses on the gauges are not flat but slightly convex except for my tach which was slightly concave. I removed the lense and right in the middle was a little worn spot which matched the point on the center of the tach needle. It appearred that the gauge had never been open so I assume somebody at the factory was having a tough morning. Octoberfest maybe?

I turned it over and replaced the lense and no more problem.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: