Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Temperature gauge, what does yours usually read at?

my temp gauge barely moves. I know it is getting a signal/reading, because it moves when I start driving, but it usually barely gets by the minimal side of the gauge. Where does your usually read at? BTW, the stock temp gauge in the center console is the Cylinder head temp righ?
Old 12-10-2002, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

If I remember right, the temp guage was always oil temp, regardless of where it was located. That's not to say that someone hasn't changed it, but they were all originally oil temp guages.

Mine's on the dashboard and it reads in the upper third in the summer and just a tick above dead center the few times I've driven it in the winter.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 12-10-2002, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mine only goes up about a quarter of the gauge, never gets near the red. It's the one in the dash.

BTW, If you have one on the dash and have installed one in the center console too, you could be splitting the signal between the two gauges. I have a '74 and the gauge on the dash, when I pluged in the temp gauge on a center console (stock wire harness) I noticed a lower temp reading on both. Unplug and the dash gauge goes back up.

Oil temp is what gets mesured, sender is on a plate bolted to bottom of engine.

-Mike D.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
The temp gauge in the center console is the oil temp gauge. Hopefully Chris when they rebuilt your motor they used the same sensor. I think there is only one sensor but two different gauges, early and late. Usually they read about a 1/4 to 1/3 that I remember, my 911 dash gauge reads 190 degrees.
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 12-10-2002, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

On both of the cars I've had, the needle pointed to about 1 o'clock when warm (in the summer). Hope that helps.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
The non numbered temp gauges are 30 year old junk. They were worth as much as idiot lights as new, with a wide range in variation between different cars.

Do yourself a favor....ignore it or spend the 50 bucks for a new VDO sender and gauge with numbers.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I agree Mike. The '73 gauge is particularly bad because it has a huge "red zone", so a lot of owners thought their cars were running hot when they weren't. Chris, if your gauge is hardly reading anything there is probably a problem somewhere. I have a '73 gauge in my car and in the summer it comes almost to the red. Drives me nuts.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

I agree with MikeZ.

On the other hand, when you get the numbered gauge, you'll always be sketched out by how hot these little buggers can get.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 12-11-2002, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

ok

Looks like another thing to buy
Old 12-11-2002, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Have not seen this term used in awhile....Dirk Wright Disease....aka, "while you are at it......"

Most modern car stereos have a clock. If you have a center console, lose your clock, probably don't work anyways.....get something that is funtional.....like an 02 sensor, and the volt meter gauge? No numbers right????

Most shops will do a deal on a three gauge package. Now be advised the newer VDO gauges are slightly smaller.....you can get "reducer" rings that mimic the size of the older ones or use some type of cover on the center console template.

Another nice thing....they will be nice and bright. Time to get newer high wattage lights for your speedo, tach and gas gauge.....it never ends, dude.

Try CB Performance and then call Pelican and ask if they will match prices.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Dirk disease, HA! I guess I am a prime example. This car is going to consume me and poop me out used and abused! My clock works, but not well. The volt gauge does work, although it is off a bit. Why an oxygen sensor? To make sur emy brain is working to is full potential while driving?
Old 12-11-2002, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by campbellcj
I agree with MikeZ.

On the other hand, when you get the numbered gauge, you'll always be sketched out by how hot these little buggers can get.
Amen to that. My stock non-numbered guage never went higher than 1/4 - and that was on the guage with the small red area. I put a numbered guage in the car... 220 on a hot day. Scared the he!! out of me (this was my first air cooled car...)

Added an oil cooler with a fan, always make sure my timing is right and dropped the temp to 215.

I am still nervous.

The GT oil cooler shroud arrived a couple of months ago.....
Old 12-11-2002, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest When it was running...

I have the aftermarket 'numbered' VDO gauge and also a small external cooler that lives in the rain tray. Car would run at 190 all day long and at the hottest hit 210 after a very spirited long uphill drive to Idyllwild. I also have a Cyl Temp Gauge and it peaked at 400, would run about 350 allatime.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

In order to run a cylinder temp gauge, do you just run a wire from the cylinder head temp sensor to the gauge, or another way? What is the average temps you want to see in a properly running car, both oil and cyl head temp?
Old 12-11-2002, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

The ideal range for air-cooled cars is 180-220F or so. 230 or even 240 wouldn't really worry me either.

You want to get the oil and oil system warm enough to vaporize out any moisture (water), which obviously takes place around 212F at sea level.

The problem is that in serious track use, these suckers like to zoom to 250-300F without an external cooler setup. That is too damn hot.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 12-11-2002, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Chris is talking about oil temps.

Head temps are another matter, and one I'm not at all sure about.

I know some 914s are obviously too cold until their head temp gauge reads 350F. But others have stated that 300F is normal, and 350F is a bit too hot.

I'm guessing the difference is in the thermocouple installation, where it is and how it's calibrated and so on, but that is just a guess.

You have to run two wires for the head temp gauge. That's what it uses. The instructions say not to cut the wires, either.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-11-2002, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: