Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

---

---

Last edited by kdfoust; 06-20-2004 at 08:31 PM..
Old 12-22-2002, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

We have something simular on some of the fire trucks at work.

Will let you know in 10 years if it works.

Only down side to it, is that you have to keep a charger plugged in (built in on the trucks) so that it dosen't run down the battery.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

When working for the City of Dickenson in Nort Dakota 17 yrs. ago one of my jobs was to maintain a newly installed highrise reservoir (100'+). There was a cathodic protection unit protecting the steel structure. Nothing ever went wrong with it the 5 yrs. I was there and the only service on it was to look at the gauges to be sure it was operating.
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 12-22-2002, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Interestingly enough, I was listening to "Car Talk" on NPR yesterday and the same question came up (was it you who called in by any chance?). "Click" and "Clack" (the "tappet brothers") were both quite negative on the idea.

The patent Counteract cites claims an electrostatic process rather than a "traditional" cathodic (electrochemical) process. The basic idea is to somehow provide electrons from somewhere other than the surface of the metal to bind with roving oxygen molecules in the air, water, etc.

If I read their 14 yr old patent correctly, they attempt to use the car body as one plate of a capacitor, paint as an insulating "dielectric", and the infernal oxygen containing "aqueous solution" (rain water, salt slush, etc) as the other plate. My problem with this is if yer car already has some rust, or the paint becomes oxygen porous, or goes away (ie chips or cracks), ya got no dielectric there, so ya got no capacitor, and so ya got no protection. I'd stick with POR-15, or in the case of some cars, a good coating of dirty motor oil .

Yes I do have too much time on my hands this weekend...
Old 12-22-2002, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Living in the rust belt this product would be a gold mine, if it worked.

I seem to remember a similar product on the Canadian market several years ago. It got yanked when it was basicly uncovered as a fraud.
Everyone from the BBB, news, police and the government were crawling up these guy's backsides. They disappeared quickly and quietly never to be seen again.
I remember the news saying that althought there were systems that worked on large scale structures such as ships and buildings it didn't work on cars.

Double blind tests, scientific method, if they have nothing to hide they will do it.
Now, they may have solved all the problems, but I say prove it.
Old 12-22-2002, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
As far as I can tell, these devices work quite well. As long as your car is underwater.

Otherwise, just consider them a "cash flow device".

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-22-2002, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I was listening to NPR's "Car Talk" too. I liked what they had to say about this device. - "If your car goes underwater, it should come out looking as good as it did when it went in".
Old 12-23-2002, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You know, I'm a little surprised the Speedvision show actually produced a segment on that thing. I didn't see the segment myself, but they gotta realize that their use of something on the show constitutes a defacto endorsement of the product.

Makes me wonder about the credibility of the "Two Guys". Maybe they're running out of stuff to do. Maybe we could take over the show and rename it -

Lots of Guys Garages (and their 914's, and their long suffering wives, and etc etc)
Old 12-23-2002, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The Two Guys show do in my opinion recommend some questionable products. There is one lame product which is supposed to induce a swirl to the inlet air to "supercharge" and increase induction. It consists or a sheet metal collar with fixed vanes sized for various cars that fits in the air cleaner or intake duct. They claim increased power and fuel economy or your money back! They also claim its "as shown on and endorsed by Two Guys Garage". I thought they would make great Christmas gifts! LOL..

Mike
Old 12-23-2002, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: