Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to DuckRyder
Porsche Crest Paging TypeIV Head Experts

Good Evening,

Take a look at these pictures and give me your thoughts on using these heads.

All 4 chambers look like this.

If I should not use them as is, can they be saved?
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 12-22-2002, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

No advise on condition, but a good sand/bead blast would make it much easier to determine the condition. Not an educated comment, but the scalloped area around the intake valves looks fishy. They could be fine though.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
in the top picture, the black area in the 6 o'clock area reminds me of what my machinist said was leakage out of the combustion chamber. he also said many type IV's do this. so, Jake, is that correct?
Old 12-22-2002, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The "head gaskets" on both cylinders were blown.

The "scalloped" areas are where the seats were welded in. My intital thought about this is "idiots" but maybe that was the thing to do back then.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 12-22-2002, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
No expert but

Here is my .914 cents worth. Disassemble the heads and sand blast the whole thing. Wash them up and then see what you really have. Cracks can be fixed if you find a compitent welder.
I would be concerned about the "cc" of each combustion chamber ain't no way they are the same. Get on the PP tech articles and find the work sheet to figure out compression ratio.
Smooth out blend these ridges and match all four combustion chambers. I don't personally use head gaskets but I do lap each cylinder to the respective hole.
While you are at it and feeling pretty good about your grinding skills by then, polish up the exhaust ports and match the ports to the pipes.
Don't forget to lap the valves when you put them back in.
Looking at your pistons yup they are U.S. No biggy they will work just fine.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I should add that the heads were "redone" by a local place called Dover Cylinder head many years but very few miles ago. (like maybe 1500 miles) I've got to pull the valves to Helicoil and plug the smog port holes any way but my valve spring compressor is not at home.

They are pretty clean other than the chambers.

Old 12-22-2002, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Still no spring compressor at home, but some cleaning shows the seat (darker area) under the weld. It appears that the weld was allowed to flow over the seat. (it's also visable in the other photo)

Anyone ever seen something like this before?

Would "Big Valves" repair these areas?

Last edited by DuckRyder; 12-23-2002 at 05:38 PM..
Old 12-23-2002, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

From my perspective, it appears that the seats were sunken and a ball mill/grinder was used to (try to) blend the edge (badly, I might add).

The beauty of aluminium alloys is that most diasaters can be fixed (heliarc - not welded). Same goes for the smog port holes - they could be heliarced closed rather that the drill, tap, helicoil, plug method.

Just an opinion and yes, I would use them after I had a good head shop look them over. Better now than after they "drop" a seat at RPM.

Ah well.............,

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"
Old 12-23-2002, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
ASE Master Tech - 35 yrs

Garage
Unhappy

done by some numnutz with a drill & grinding stone; if the valves are seated o.k. and it's just a casual driver, go ahead & use 'em, but if the seats are screwed up too, they are junk.. will cost more to refurbish than a nice set of used ones
Old 12-23-2002, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Oh, here are the head pics....

From the one pic, it appears as if you may have one sodium-filled exhaust valve and one that isn't. (One has the dimple in the valve face and one doesn't seem to.) An ugly combination, if true.

Sodium-filled valves are not very commonly available in larger than stock sizes, so it is likely that this head has stock-sized valves.

This set is odd enough that I would stop asking a bunch of amateur-type enthusiasts (that's us), and find a good machine shop with Type IV experience and see what they have to say.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-23-2002, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I agree with Dave, take it to somebody who KNOWS what they are saying is FACT. We can barf put opinions all day, but a true head shop will tell you what you need to know. If I waz U, spend the coin to have a head job. In afew months, when your driving the car it will be all worth it.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

I agree, but there isn't any one around I really trust except Jake and I don't really think he is game for doing just heads, and in all honestly, as much as I'd love to have one of his motors, money is a little tighter than that at the moment. I was given the name of another fella Steve Sands I think in Lithia Springs or Villa Rica but all I really know about him is he's built some T1 and TIV motors for the locals.

I've pretty much decided to either have these worked (again) or find a place that will trade take them on cores.

Any one got a nice set of non-smog cores?

I just wanted some opinions to help calibrate my BS meter. If it were a Small Block Ford I'd know what to do, but it aint.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com

Last edited by DuckRyder; 12-29-2002 at 05:27 PM..
Old 12-24-2002, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Why not ship them to Jakes head guy?

Adrian at Headflowmasters in LA?

Or Rimco...also in LA?
Old 12-24-2002, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bowlsby
Why not ship them to Jakes head guy?

Adrian at Headflowmasters in LA?
I sent adrian an E-Mail to see what he could do.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Also, When I get a couple of valves out I'll post up again. The keepers are doing a fine job of keeping, and I ran out of time to mess in the garage today.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 12-24-2002, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

It appears that the head material overlaps the seat.
That would lead me to believe that someome attempted to hold the seat in by swaging or staking, but made a hash of it.....(basicly, pushing the aluminum over the seat). Roller swaging might be a good fix for t-4 valve seat problems but it is a one time deal. It works well
in many applications...if done correctly.....this job don't look too shiney. Maybe this is where the term "hammered s**t" came from.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Got the valves out today. Here is what I found.

Valves are stamped "ATE" and appear to be the stock valves.

No word from HeadFlow Masters yet.

2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 12-28-2002, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Man! That is the air injection hole in the exhaust....ugh.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RustyWa
Man! That is the air injection hole in the exhaust....ugh.
Yeah, that's the least of my worries with this set of heads.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000

323i.net
RangerXLT.com
Old 12-28-2002, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
To me it doesn't look like the valves were completely sealing. (don't forget to lap them. If you are short on funds like me you should just smooth all the rough spots. cc match all four combustion chambers and get that engine back together. Drive it like a sane person and enjoy. If you drive like me and a few others on this board spring for a new set of matching heads then DRIVE IT. BTW "TIG welding" has been a life saver on my heads.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: