Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

cooling fan

Has anyone tried to fit one of the aftermarket 911 style cooling fans that are in VW magazines in to their 914? And what about using an electric fan to cool a 2.0 for street use? My 73 2.0 will have duel Webers,euro pistons,050 dist.,and a street Web cam.
Old 08-18-1999, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have not tried the 911 fan shroud yet but I plan too soon. A electric fan for the 914 is available as a kit but it is for race only. This is likely due to the large battery drain.
What I have found with the 911 fan shroud kits is the following.
1. You will drill a hole for the 911 alternator stand in the oil fill chamber.
2. Without the use of the normal oil fill chamber you will need to use an oil filler in a valve cover or make a fill tube to that bottom (driver side) access hole that is cast in the block as closed. This will need to bend around the engine cross bar.
3. There are NO kits that make an oil filler for the 914.
4. 911 fans and alternators are expensive!
About $400-600 rebuilt for a set, then add $350 for the shroud, then add for the filler tube.
5. The FAT fan shroud is considered to be one of the best.
6. I have not seen a setup with all the engine tin put back.. Hmmmmm....

Hope that helps.
Rich
Old 08-18-1999, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Our race 914 has a 911 fan/alt/housing that was modified to fit on a 2.5l engine. It was also converted to dry sump (8 qt) so the oil is put in at the tank as per a 911 and the normal filler is blocked off. The increased air flow helps cool it, but what really helps is the dry sump and front oil cooler combo. It also has a filter adapter for a much larger filter from a 930 which is nice. The autocross practice session we had in July with continuous laps for 1 1/2 hours caused the temp to get to about 195f max. If you are going the high hp route, the extra oil system is more than worth the extra expense.
Old 08-18-1999, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
My experience, and the experience of most of the other Zone 7 914 time trialers, disagree with you, Brian. The 2.0 stock cooling system is not up to the job of cooling down a 914 that is driven at track events on warm days.

When you are on-track for 20 minutes at WOT the whole time, 4000-5000 RPM, the cooling system is pretty marginal except on fairly cool days. My gauge was up higher than it ever had been before (even after 2 hours at 100 MPH!) on a day that didn't get much above 70 degrees. The Buttonwillow summers, at 110 in the shade (and there is no shade) would have cooked the poor beast.

All the other local time trialers say that the stock system is just fine for the street, but can't really hack big-track events.

--DD
Old 08-18-1999, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Again, I find myself in the enviable position of agreeing with everything Dave's said. As I posted in another thread (about oil coolers, and Brian felt that there might be a root problem not corrected (no flame, just a statement of where we are)), there is no substitute for an extra external oil cooler when the car is being tracked. As all (us) engineers will agree, keeping an air (oil)-cooled engine cool is of primary importance! I personally went through 3 rebuilds in about a year (yeah, call me stupid) in San Diego while I was chasing the correct cooling system (that and target lock on trying to chase down 911s on the track), so I have some practical experience as well as "some" training in this. My solution: the 911 cooling fan (dropped 30 dF immediately) and an Earls cooler big enough to be a barn door. All these changes really helped when I moved back to VA (where I am currently held against my will) and had to deal with the much higher humidity levels and and elevated heat index problem. I remain a staunch supporter of external oil coolers, and if you can find one, try the 911 cooling system as well. They really make the engine look WAY COOL! Sorry for rambling on, but what the h. . .
Old 08-19-1999, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

There seems to be alot of thought out there on when and how to keep a
914 cool. I should have given more information in my first inquiry. I
LOVE to race ,but here in Utah all there is is drag racing, and after a
few seconds I`m bored! The local PCA is the only source of the kind of
racing that I like, thus the 914 comes into play. My car right now is
a rust free (O.K. O.K. so I need a battery tray.) rolling chase. The
reason for the "street" Web cam is to pass the sniffer test. I want to
drive the car on the street and race with the PCA. Since I'm starting
from scratch I can build the cooling system to do a better job than
stock. From what I can gather from the previous comments a 911 cooling
fan would be over kill. For street and weekend AutoXing a good Aux. oil
cooler should work fine. If I was going to build an all out big bore
race car it sounds like the 911 fan would be the way to go, but then my
wife would kill me! Thanks Larry
Old 08-19-1999, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Sorry, Brian. I focused in on the "there is no reason for a stock 914 to have an extra cooler" statement to the exclusion of the rest of your posts. Oops--attribute it to tunnel vision.

Grr! I really really want my car back!!!

--DD
Old 08-19-1999, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: