Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

starting problems

Okay, so here's the deal. Often, when I try to start my '74 914, the starter does nothing but click. If I repeatedly turn the key, it sometimes works. Other times, it won't budge. When that happens, I can usually get it running by rocking the car back and forth in gear. That doesn't always work, though. I have had the starter checked. It's fine. So's the solenoid, I think. I don't know about the alternator. Can somebody help my poor baby? Thanks!
Old 01-03-2003, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

This is pretty common on VW-based engines. It usually happens when the engine is warm but can progress to a full time problem. Do you have a starter booster relay installed? I would bet over half the 914s out there have one. It's a pretty basic install of a $20-$30 part.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds like a bad battery. If not that it might be your ground strap needs cleaning where it attaches to the bottom of the trunk & back of tranny. This happend to me and I cleaned both ends of the ground strap. Worked fine after that. Turn signals worked better too! Does this only happen when hot?
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 01-03-2003, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Try a search of the archives for starter related posts and you'll find lots of items to check. Besides the ground strap as noted, check the batt, batt connections and wires. If the wires are old and stiff I'd recommend replacement with some 2GA welding leads and new connectors which you can buy at auto parts store. Have the batt tested to make sure it is up to full voltage and has no weak cells and has good electrolyte level, etc. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Another common problem with your symptoms is the ignition switch wearing out. When it does turn over, does it do so at normal speed, as if the battery is OK?

Mine occasionally just clicks, but if I click it enough times it will eventually spin the starter. I'm sure it's the ignition switch in my case.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Try smacking the solenoid with a crescent wrench or hammer. If it frees up and turns there's the problem....some have had luck with lubing the solenoid.

Also the ground strap from the trans to the frame can be dirty, loose or broken......

If that is not it...probably the switch.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Don't forget to check the Tech Article on the subject. Very comprehensive and thorough.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-07-2003, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: