Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Center Console Wiring

I am installing a center console in my '76 and need some help. I checked out PP's technical article on installing a center console, but the wiring diagram does not seem to match. I have four pairs of wires in the center tunnel that each terminate with a male spade connector inside a plastic cover. They are as follows:
2 - blk/red
2 - red/blk
2 - gray
2 - brown (grounds?)

I also have a single grn/blk wire is already connected to a mate that I assume goes to the oil temp gauge on the dash (?). Can someone give me a clue on the others?
Old 08-23-1999, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I got the wire pairings incorrect. Here they are:
Pair #1- gray + gray
Pair #2- brown + brown
Pair #3- red/wht + black
Pair #4- blk/red + black
Old 08-23-1999, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Pair #1 Connects to Blk/Blue Dot from oil tmp gauge. Volt meter and clock are connected to oil tmp gauge by Black/Blue wire. Provides +12v for gauge lights.

Pair #2 Connects to Brown (-)on volt meter,(gnd) on clock and (gnd)on oil tmp.

Pair #3 Connects to Red/White Dot(+)on volt meter and (+) on oil tmp.

Pair #4 Connects to Black (+12v) on clock.

Hope this is not too confusing.

Old 08-23-1999, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Check the wiring diagram. OK, the 75 one in Haynes seems to be different somehow. The 74 (in color on this site!) is more instructive.

> Pair #1- gray + gray

That one of the black-with-blue-stripe wires connects to that one. The grey in this area carries +12V only when the parking lights or headlights are on. That is used to illuminate the lights inside the instruments.

> Pair #2- brown + brown

Brown is always ground, unless someone has re-wired the car. Connect it to brown wires.

> Pair #3- red/wht + black

Red and white supplies power to the gauges to run their movements. Connect it to red and white. This gets +12V when the ignition is on.

> Pair #4- blk/red + black

Connect it to the black wire that supplies power to the clock. This is not switched, and should get +12V all the time.

--DD
Old 08-23-1999, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all the help. Part of my handicap with this project is having to fabricate the console wiring harness from the tunnel wiring to the gauges, so it is not just a matter of plugging the two together. I think I will be able to figure it out using your comments.
Old 08-25-1999, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The new wiring harness for the console is now fabricated and installed. After routing the wires (but before adding crimp-on connectors to the ends), I sheathed the harness with shrink tubing. Looks good as original and works perfect! Thanks again for the tech help.
Old 09-03-1999, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: