Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

She will not start...Starting points

I can not get her to start. Installed new injectors, new plugs. Engine only will turn over. When I got her, she was rigged every sort of way with wires everywhere but she did start.

I read somewhere there is a switch under the seat that has to do with it starting up. I can't find that thread to save my life. My title says she is a 72. My vin is 4722906410. Just did a search to confirm (always thought it was a 71). I didn't know if that applied to my year or not. I figured that would be a good place to start.

Also, what should the injector voltage be when turning her over? I am bearly reading a volt. I figure these need a good cleaning which I will do this evening.

Also, most of my vacuum hoses are not hooked but but I was told the engine should at least fire but will run crappy. True?

Any other ideas to start looking at??

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited by surfdogskier; 02-18-2018 at 08:03 AM..
Old 02-18-2018, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
1974 Porsche 914

Garage
Point & Condenser?

Check the point and condenser. When I was starting mine a few years ago it reminded me when I used to change the point and condenser on the family's 1980 FJ40.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The switch under the seat is a 1974 model year thing, only. Your 72 shouldn't have any worries on that account.

Your engine needs three things to run: fuel, air and fire. Check each of these.

For fuel, you can stick an injector into a glass jar and have someone crank the starter. You can see the spray if you look for it, and of course there will be gas in the jar after you do that. A less accurate method is to smell the exhaust after you try to start the car for a little while; if you smell fuel in it there is at least some fuel getting into the engine.

For air, check the compression.

For fire or spark, use an extra spark plug taped with the threaded part or the outer electrode against a ground. Have someone crank the starter and watch for a spark.

If all three are present and the car still will not start, then the two variables left are spark timing and fuel amount.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-18-2018, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Some years ago I had a similar problem, and my problem was caused by a bad wire connection on the trigger contact plug of the distributor. There is a rubber boot covering the plug. You might check the wiring, and the contacts as well.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914TWO View Post
Some years ago I had a similar problem, and my problem was caused by a bad wire connection on the trigger contact plug of the distributor. There is a rubber boot covering the plug. You might check the wiring, and the contacts as well.
Thank you. I wil take a look.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
The switch under the seat is a 1974 model year thing, only. Your 72 shouldn't have any worries on that account.

Your engine needs three things to run: fuel, air and fire. Check each of these.

For fuel, you can stick an injector into a glass jar and have someone crank the starter. You can see the spray if you look for it, and of course there will be gas in the jar after you do that. A less accurate method is to smell the exhaust after you try to start the car for a little while; if you smell fuel in it there is at least some fuel getting into the engine.

For air, check the compression.

For fire or spark, use an extra spark plug taped with the threaded part or the outer electrode against a ground. Have someone crank the starter and watch for a spark.

If all three are present and the car still will not start, then the two variables left are spark timing and fuel amount.

--DD
Dave, thank you again. I was thinking about the injector in the jar thing and since you mentioned it, I will do. Pretty easy to do. Only thing I didn't think of was the compression.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Groucho Marxist

Garage
New injectors not as likely as something else to be causing problems.

You really ought to hook up the vacuum hoses

Bowlsby D Jet article, a little light reading
Old 02-20-2018, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
New injectors not as likely as something else to be causing problems.

You really ought to hook up the vacuum hoses

Bowlsby D Jet article, a little light reading
I had to replace my injectors. I cleaned them out thoroughly but when I installed them back in, 3 out of 4 of them leaked around the yellow plastic. New ones installed eliminated that. I will hook up the vacuum hoses this week. I need to get a couple more hoses. My car was so bad off when I got her, some of the vacuum hose openings were plugged with wood tree branches and a couple of bolts. Pretty sad.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

So I am still trying to get my baby started. I have put in all new injectors, new points, wires, rotor. All vacuum lines are now going to their right places. I am getting fuel pressure through the lines I know. Pump works fine. I hear it working.

But she still won't fire. I figure it has to be injectors aren't firing or no power to spark plugs.

Without taking out the injectors and looking for spray, I was going to check when voltage went through each one. At what point should it be registering voltage to the injectors? With the key in the "on" position or at cranking?

Also, my coil is pretty ratted up and does not fit securely like it should. I wonder if something got banged up inside. I read these don't bad that often. Would the coil cause the plugs not to fire?

I do know if I use starting fluid, I can get it to crank for a bit but then die. So I am guessing the plugs are working properly. Don't know about all of them. I will pull them to test.

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I started a new thread on this. Singled it down to a injector voltage issue.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: