Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
Hatch latch adjuster pin at rear edge.

Say that 6 times as fast as you can!

Hey, I decided to make a small adjustment to my right rear hatch adjuster pin - one of the threaded slotted pins at the hatch's rear edge that engages the twin latches on my 1984 944. I loosened the single lock nut, and the pin won't turn. I consulted the service manual (not a factory manual) and it indicates that this is exactly the right way to do this adjustment. So I did what you guys/gals would do and got a bigger tool. Came back with a 14" screwdriver I found in a '75 Scirocco at the U-Pull 5 years ago, and a pair of vice grips so I could easily apply 20 lbs-ft (guess). No love and that's waaay to much.

So I looked closely at the point where the adjuster disappears into the hatch and did not find the expected threaded grommet, but what appears to be a flat circular fitting. And I wondered if there was some sort of year change, or error as the amount of twist I put into it and a conventional threaded adjuster arrangement, and what I see on closer inspection don't 100% line up.

Any tips or knowledge of what the other end of this looks like? Is there a 2nd lock screw in there deeper? Thanks in advance.

All I wanted to do was shorten it slightly as it does not "pop" up like the other side. So it must not be holding the seal compressed such that when released the pin pops up above the latch with authority. If that mechanism is prone to breakage or something I'll live with it. Seemed simple when I started.

Doug
Old 09-04-2018, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The hatch pins are just long bolts with a cone head on them. They are notorious for rusting into place and often times will just break off instead of turn. If that happens you're screwed and need new latches.

If you're determined to get it out, spray generously with penetrating oil and let it sit for awhile (like a week) to let it do its job. And then pray and hope. And use a pair of vice grips as that slot is worthless (and replacement pins don't have slots for a screwdriver anyway).

Or you can do like my PO did and just use washers on the receiver latches to space them out further instead of adjusting the pins. Works just the same.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Are you sure the latch receiver "claws" aren't the issue? If they are not closing all the way and evenly, they will not hold the pin captured. Look into the hole and operate the latches with the key and see how they're operating. If they're not closing fully, spray some nut buster into the hole and exercise the latches with the key. If they still aren't allowing full closure, slightly loosen the 10mm bolts on the back of the receiver and they should relax.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
It's not clear to me what you're trying to accomplish by adjusting the pin.

Is the hatch rattling? If so, it might be the hatch pin seats have degraded and need replacing. It might also be that the hitch pin needs shortening as you're trying to do.

On the other hand, is the issue that the hatch won't release quickly enough, i.e. pop up? If so, then it would seem either the latches are not releasing fully or the hatch shock is weak.

Best of luck in figuring this out.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
Thom,

I don't think stronger shocks are going to lift the hatch to pop it up. It's the compression of the seals that gives it the initial perhaps 1/4" of pop. What I'm trying to get is the seals on that side compressed with the hatch when its held closed by shortening the pin. When the claw retracts, the pop will lift the pin out of the hole such that when the claw cycles back to be ready for the next closing, it does not again hold the hatch on that side from lifting. The pin will be too short to be hooked again. When the electric hatch release is hit, the claws are retracted on both pins by the electric mechanism, and then the mechanism cycles and no longer is retracting the claws. So the claws springs pull them back into the hole and on one side (the right) when this happens the pin is caught again. If that pin were slightly shorter (perhaps 1/16 inch) it could not get caught again, allowing the user to simply lift the hatch without fiddling.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It will NEVER work right if you don't replace the hatch pin seat:

https://www.only944.com/partscatalog/only/hatchpinseats/
Old 09-07-2018, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: