Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Start up and engine problems

1987 944 NA. When attempting to start it acts like the battery is weak, but it's not(brand new battery showing 12.7). The engine will start but the car has no power when in gear. After running for a few minutes the oil light comes on, but the dip stick shows full to the top mark. , If I shut the car off and attempt to restart the engine won't fire and there's a strong gas smell. If I let it sit overnight it will fire up the next day, but with the same struggle to start.

The volt gauge on the dash shows about 11 volts. Replaced the alternator and no change.

Any thoughts out there?

Old 12-29-2018, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check your battery connections, grounds, and the cables. The cables can deteriorate internally, and need to be checked for their ability to transfer a lot of electrons to power the starter.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 12-30-2018, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944 Ecology View Post
Check your battery connections, grounds, and the cables. The cables can deteriorate internally, and need to be checked for their ability to transfer a lot of electrons to power the starter.
The cables are all good and so the other grounding points. I did just replace the power steering rack. The new one didn't have the ground connection on the spring cover plate. So, I used one of 2 the existing bolts for the ground. I removed some paint on the rack so connection would be metal to metal and cleaned the connection point on the engine cradle.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Swap DME relay and let us know what happens!
Old 01-03-2019, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I disagree on the DME relay or further attempts to start/run.

1st thing check to see if the engine can turn over via a wrench on the crank bolt. Take the plugs out if you have to but it should be possible to turn it over with some struggle to get over the compression strokes (just go slow and let compression bleed off when you hit compression).

If it turns over freely-enough try starting with the coil disconnected to see if you are fighting spark advance, crossfiring, miswiring, etc.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944 Ecology View Post
All the connections look good, the ground strap from the battery to the engine has a few cracks in the black plastic, the internal green wire looks good.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Politically Incorrect

Can you post a picture of the "internal green wire"?
Old 01-11-2019, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
That wire isn't supposed to be green. The copper core is corroded.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yeah, corroded wire will not conduct electricity because electrons actually travel on surface of wires. Hence multiple fine strands to increase surface area. If surface is corroded, this limits flow. Not to mention causing internal breaks along way. Measure resistance of wire end-to-end.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Yeah, corroded wire will not conduct electricity because electrons actually travel on surface of wires. Hence multiple fine strands to increase surface area. If surface is corroded, this limits flow. Not to mention causing internal breaks along way. Measure resistance of wire end-to-end.

The wire is correded. Picture attached I will replace and update

Old 01-12-2019, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: