Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red face I broke something but not sure what.

Hi. I visit here pretty often even tough I donít write much. Anyhow today Iím desperate enough to ask a question with my bad English.
I own a Euro 1983 944 that I have been repairing during last few years. It now has new clutch, new belts, new paint, new tires etc. and I have only driven it about 3000 miles. Now roads are finally clear of snow here and I could really start using my car. Only problem is that it wonít start anymore after me doing some stupid things with it.

My car has always had faulty MPG gauge and now after all other things finally are OK I decided that I must get that gauge fixed also. I visited at my mechanic and after short investigation he told me that the problem was DME related and if I want gauge to work I should get new DME. Because I could not find used DME for my car I decided to temporarily replace my RPM gauge with one that does not have MPG gauge in it. I took all the wires off from the old gauge and put them into that new one just like they had been in my old gauge but the new gauge did not work. Soon I had all 8 RPM gauge wires hanging separately and I was trying to find right combination how they should be connected. I also had engine running because I thought that then I could easily see when the wires are in right order and of course some wires touched each other and immediately when they touched my car stalled and did not start again.
First I checked all fuses and fuse number 7 was blown. I replaced it and my gauge lights and radio came back on. Then I tried to start it again and it was cranking normally and fuel pump was working. Then I called my friend and we checked out that I was getting spark. We even changed spark plugs and added 5 liters more fuel and put my old RPM gauge back but that did not help.
Now I am thinking that maybe there is something wrong with my DME. Could it be that I blew my DME relay? Is it even possible to get spark and fuel with bad DME relay? Also which one is the DME relay and does it come off just by pulling?
Thank you for your help!
Old 03-21-2003, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
Sorry can't help you on this one. Wait for the others.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds like you 'LET OUT THE MAGIC SMOKE" out from the DME. Now it may never work again.

You may have to get another rebuilt DME, some places in Germany and USA sell them at about US 500....

http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/coupe

Porsche 944 Turbo, 1986
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, 1997
Old 03-21-2003, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Is there any way to make sure that it is the DME
Old 03-22-2003, 01:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: