Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest How does this fastener work?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eP9a7pm78MSSVTtw6

This picture link view is looking straight up into the bulkhead in front of the fuel tank on the right side of my 924S. I need to repair this fuel line which is the return line to the tank. On the lower right side of the picture is a dirty white support fastener that is fairly common for holding fuel and brake lines in place. It looks like it may be 944.356.591.00 in the PET. I can't figure out how to release this so I can work on the line properly without ruining the fastener. They aren't cheap to source with shipping so I'd rather not incur the expense and brain damage. Anybody have any ideas how (or if) they can be released and reset?
Old 06-18-2019, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
They simply pull straight off the peg. I used a small trim pry bar (6 inches or so) and gently worked each side until it slide off. Perhaps some penetrating oil first will help. The old plastic is fragile and will break so be gentle.

Last edited by Geoman; 06-18-2019 at 12:30 PM..
Old 06-18-2019, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I would be wary of the rusted stud breaking off. if you have new clips, I would cut it in the middle with a set of dike/side cutter pliers. New ones push on.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Good counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoman View Post
They simply pull straight off the peg. I used a small trim pry bar (6 inches or so) and gently worked each side until it slide off. Perhaps some penetrating oil first will help. The old plastic is fragile and will break so be gentle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasryan View Post
I would be wary of the rusted stud breaking off. if you have new clips, I would cut it in the middle with a set of dike/side cutter pliers. New ones push on.

I had my suspicions of both of these thoughts but I'm much more confident now. They are available but seem pretty pricey for a simple piece of molded plastic. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy some.

Thanks again!

Last edited by rbuswell; 06-18-2019 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-18-2019, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

$2.29 is probably the cheapest Porsche part you will ever buy plastic or otherwise. lol

if you melted them down into odometer gears, you would be rich))
Old 06-18-2019, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:

:d
Old 06-18-2019, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Ahh if it were only that easy (or cheap)

Quote:
$2.29 is probably the cheapest Porsche part you will ever buy plastic or otherwise. lol

It's the $15 to ship it. I really struggle paying that kind of money to have a parts guy throw a .5 ounce part into a padded envelope and slap a shipping label on it. Total time maybe two minutes and $.35 cents in materials. Now it really is competing with gold bullion, door to door.

Last edited by rbuswell; 06-19-2019 at 04:04 AM..
Old 06-19-2019, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

A place in Ohio that ends in tuning does free shipping if you drop 49 on parts. You could pick up some filters or something. Wix bought Mann so they are offshore now.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Thanks for the tip

Quote:
A place in Ohio that ends in tuning does free shipping if you drop 49 on parts. You could pick up some filters or something. Wix bought Mann so they are offshore now.

I appreciate knowing all my options.

Last edited by rbuswell; 06-19-2019 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 06-19-2019, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

The rust issue on our 924s and 944s is the reason for many disappearing off our roads.

For a few years I have been making up Tunnel Lines for the 911 models using the same Polyamide tube as the factory originals.

Thinking this may be the answer for the 944 I have been experimenting with running this tube along the floor and with the usual E-85 Rated Hose everywhere else. A big benefit of this is the ability to replace the hardlines without removal of the rear suspension.

I am happy help anyone who may have this same rusty fuel line issue.

Len.Cummings at verizon.net

Old 06-19-2019, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuswell View Post
It's the $15 to ship it. I really struggle paying that kind of money to have a parts guy throw a .5 ounce part into a padded envelope and slap a shipping label on it. Total time maybe two minutes and $.35 cents in materials. Now it really is competing with gold bullion, door to door.
well, at least you are in the states
i'm in ontario(canada) this stupid cold trade war between CA and USA make me sick
some things/parts have a status - does not ship to Canada and some can be shipped for 70-100 usd for the couple oz of weight
but, parts like yours, can be easily find at big box stores for a reasonable price and right away
there is no necessity for that kind of parts to be a Porsche's
just my .2cent
Old 06-19-2019, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Following your ideas

I have been working with Bruce Arnn of ArnnWorx 924/944 tools fame to do a similar upgrade to my fuel lines as you did, BoxsterGT. Bruce is absolutely super. BTW, if you don't own all of his tools, you're making a mistake.

One of the reasons I bought the car I did is that it is essentially rust free except for this fuel line trouble which is minor in the grand scheme of things. For a car this old and having spent some of its life on the east coast and having a negligent owner it has stood up well. I am very fortunate to have found it.

Last edited by rbuswell; 06-20-2019 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: Formatting
Old 06-20-2019, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: