Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Pre Engine Drop - Which Positive Terminal Goes Through Firewall?

Clark's mentions pushing the positive battery terminal wire through the firewall in prep for engine removal...but there are two positive terminal wires going through separate holes in the firewall - one hole through which I've already pulled the positive wire with the three (starter motor?) leads, and a second hole through which the remaining positive wire is threaded - this hole also accommodating the negative battery lead.

Seems like it might be impossible to pull this second positive lead through the second hole...as the head of this lead is quite wide, as it accommodates the connectors for the other positive lead. Any ideas?
Old 10-17-2019, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Unless you intend to replace those battery cables, there's no need to pull them. Carefully zip-tie all cables and wiring harnesses to firewall so they're out of way and pull engine.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

No need to remove any wiring to pull engine.
Just disconnect everything (injectors, sensors, alternator starter, etc) and fold harness out of the way.

Some people will tell you the cross member and suspension need to come out too...
Old 10-17-2019, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

So I can also leave the Motronic unit plugged in and remove everything its connected to on the engine side?

Suddenly it comes back to me...years back when I dropped the engine on my 85.5 - I'd unplugged the bundle from the motronic box ...pushed the wire bundle up through the firewall - undid all the engine wiring, and was left with a bundle of wires unattached at both ends, thinking, "why did I need to even unplug the Motronic box in the first place?"

So...if my memory serves, I don't need to pull the motronic bundle through the firewall at all, just disconnect everything on the engine side?
Old 10-17-2019, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

No, leave the motronic and harness in the car.

No reason to remove it unless i guess you were parting the car out.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
When I pulled mine I just unplugged everything on the engine side, tied it all back out of the way.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Sounds like a plan...thanks!
Old 10-20-2019, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: