Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Talking why is my car faster than ever before?

ok, now this is bizarre... i was out driving the 944 yesterday and this car is faster than it's ever been. it is simply pulling like a bat outta hell. all i've done is put in new spark plugs/tune up items, and we got the fuel injectors balanced. i replaced the fuel dampener and pressure regualtor also.

and now this car is FAST. i mean damn fast! it never felt slow but now it feels like it's faster than friends 944s. i can't explain it.

did all the gremlins leave? could replacing those fuel components have done the trick? i honestly don't know but all i know is that it like it!!!!

obin
Old 05-08-2003, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

didn't you said you cleaned the AC fuse too?

would you pick some lotto numbers for me?

Early '85 944
Old 05-08-2003, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yep, completely expected. In my experience, the 944 tends to be extremely sensitive to fuel flow\pressure. As time goes on, components wear out, dropping pressure gradually - cleaning\replacing\balancing injectorys, and replacing the pressure regulators go a long way to returning the car to "original" specs.

Cap and rotor go a long way as well - need good stuff to burn up all that "extra" fuel

another trouble spot is the internal fuel strainer: it is that fitting that the fuel pump hose connects to.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-08-2003, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

fuel strainer eh? worth replacing? think that will help a bit more?

thanks!

obin
Old 05-08-2003, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
obin, when i replaced my plugs and plug wires at the same time as installing the K&N filter, my car felt much faster too... maybe you're having a cooler/not as humid day there as well? I find this helps sometimes too
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 05-08-2003, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

90% is from balanced injectors.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
how do you balance the fuel injectors?
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 05-08-2003, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up

these guys did it for me. got them to within less than 1% flow difference across all 4 injectors:

http://www.affordable-efi.com/

awesome service!!! top notch!!! recommended highly!!!

http://www.affordable-efi.com/afi_cleaning.htm

"Most injectors donít fail, they just become obstructed. While an injector is operating fuel is delivered through a very small orifice. These small passages can become obstructed from deposits in the gasoline and external factors found during normal engine operation.
Replacement costs of fuel injectors can run as high as $160 ea. With our cleaning service you can restore your fuel injectors to like-new condition for a fraction of the cost of a new injector. Most injectors can be restored to like-new condition through the ultrasonic cleaning and testing process.
To order your Injector Cleaning service fill out the Injector Service Order Form

AFI Fuel Injector Cleaning Service Includes:
Ultrasonic Cleaning
Electric testing to determine that we are starting with operable injectors. (Faulty injectors will incur further charges)
Installation of New Filter Baskets and Pintle Caps
New Seals and O-Rings
Leak Testing
Spray Pattern Analysis
Flow Testing
Results of Flow test

The best time to clean injectors?
Whenever they have been diagnosed with a problem.
Whenever you have already removed them for an engine repair.
Whenever they are removed for major service as specified by your vehicle manufacturer. This is usually completed from 60 Ė 100k mile of service. Check manufacturers recommendations.
Ultrasonic cleaning and injector testing
4 Injector Set
$49.95"

for $49.95 i got what i otherwise would have paid a ton more for. the difference is astounding. the car runs so much smoother and it pulls like it never did before. these guys will clean all 4 injectors and get them balanced to within (or exceeding) factory specs for less than the cost of one replacement injector.

obin
Old 05-08-2003, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I had my injectors done by Bosch, and they told me that they were dirty and not atomizing the fuel properly. I did not notice any inprovements in power. I should look into my fuel regulator and damper too.
How much were the last 2 items, OBIN? Did you replace the fuel lines to the damper and regulator?

http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/coupe

Porsche 944 Turbo, 1986
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, 1997
Old 05-08-2003, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

i think the dampener and regulator were around $100 for both including shipping. i didn't replace the fuel lines because they looked great. the entire job is a 2 hour job in a driveway from hood up to hood down.

here's a tip... while your injectors are out.. you'll need to plug the fuel rail up. i went to an auto parts store and got one of those rubber donuts that are used to hang exhaust brackets and components by. you know the ones... they're like 1/2" in diameter.

i just cut one in 4 pieces and then plugged each injector hole with a piece of rubber. not one drop of fuel leaked out at all.

affordable efi told me that all 4 injectors needed cleaning, but one of them was really bad. after the cleaning they were all unbelievably balanced. i distinctly remember them saying that they were amazingly close like .1% or so. it was well less than 1% difference across all 4 injectors. i have the paper somewhere.

obin
Old 05-08-2003, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to afx
Obin, how long did it take them to do the work and get the injectors back to you? I would really like ot have this done to my car, but as it is my only car I would not want to have it down for too long.

I could also just try to find andother used set of injectors to use while I am getting mine cleaned.

Http://members.rennlist.com/afx
Old 05-08-2003, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

i sent the injectors out on a thursday and they were back in my hands by tuesday. VERY quick turnaround!

good luck!

obin
Old 05-09-2003, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

OK, that does it. My new fuel dampener is going on tomorrow!
Old 05-09-2003, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 944ThatCould
GO injectors GO!
Old 05-10-2003, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: