Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sometimes it's the simple things!

Please excuse me because I have not been available to participate in this BBS recently - I've been swamped at work with 70 plus hour weeks and doing a lot of field work.

But this is too good to keep to myself.

As you may recall, I frequently ask questions regarding the fuel system and speed and reference sensors, and many of you have been kind enough to give advice.

In the last few months, I have done the fuel pressure test, the baby food bottle and fuel injectors test, checked the resistance of the S&R Sensors, but the daggone thing still stalls out and mysteriously stops.

So yesterday, while I had a captive engineer in my garage, I asked him to crank it over while I used a timing light on the camshaft gear observation hole. Sometimes I didn't get any spark to fire off the inductive sensor of the timing light. Sometimes I did. But the timing light did not reveal any noticable mark on the cam gear. So, based on recent threads on this BBS, I thought that, just maybe, the rotor was loose enough on the cam that it may have rotated a little. But nope, after removing the distributer cap, the rotor was tight.

Now come the "funny" part.

When pushing back on the sparkplug wires to the distributer cap, I noticed that the wire from the coil had not previously been pushed fully home on the cap. These are new wires and the large rubber ends are tight and kind of hard to push on fully. So, I pushed harder, heard a definitive "click", and when I got in the car, it started, ran perfectly, and did not even so much as cough on the 20 mile trip I took it on (admittedly, that was twenty times around a one mile loop, as I wasn't ready to venture far from home yet).

So, like Todwick is fond of saying, "CHECK THE COIL", I would like to add "CHECK TO SEE THAT THE #$*&@ COIL WIRE IS PUSHED FIRMLY INTO THE DISTRIBUTER CAP!"

Apparently, my coil wire was just in far enough that it would provide some spark, but when I changed the radiator, I must have moved it just a little farther away to where it couldn't bridge the gap.

Unbelievable.

On the plus side, my wife got so annoyed with the non-running Porsche that she went out and bought herself a Corvette with a 6-speed. It's gorgeous.

The Porsche has a lot more room inside than the Corvette.

Now I have to polish the Porsche so it looks as good as the Corvette.

Anyway, thanks for all of your help. Here's the beer!

Old 06-12-2003, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Tasty! I'm never one to kick a lame horse in the head with a bush full of birds, but you missquoted me. "Check the coil wire", is what I have overspake. Thanks for the credit and the brew, non the less, and drop by more often, it's good to hear from someone who doesn't think I'm a complete moron.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

my wife has been out of the country but coming in town next week

how far should I pull the wire out of the cap?

Early '85 944
Old 06-12-2003, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Just far enough to get a size 7 pump lodged in your kiester.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

About 1/4 inch from fully seated!

Hey Todwick - I seem to remember that you were invited to Summit Point Motorsports Park - any chance you'll make it? Then you can get more than just cyber beer!
Old 06-12-2003, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

how does he know she wears size 7 pumps?...and why is she flying in from LAX...is that near London?

Early '85 944
Old 06-12-2003, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
AHEM

I told you so.

This is the problem I had as well.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 06-12-2003, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
AHEM

I told you so.

This is the problem I had as well.

(Ok so maybe i didn't tell YOU, but other people have posted with problems, and the first thing I've said is "Make sure the coil wire is completely attached to the distributor and the coil!")

Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 06-12-2003, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: