Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy wayward handling

My UK spec 944 ('88 2.7) has unpleasant handling. At 80-90mph on sweeping curves (either direction), the car 'feels' vague and likely to swap ends.

Car drives straight and under braking. I've had a full geometry check done, only thing outside spec was offside front camber at -1 degree outside spec. Car was in rear accident back in January, was placed on jig but all suspension points were correct and did not require pulling. Geometry check was since accident.

I've changed the dampers front and rear, all bushes seem ok with little/no apparent play, wheel bearings ok, ball joints little/no play, tyre pressures correct.

Any ideas?

Old 05-30-2001, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
So your camber is still off? (Got to take care of that first).

What size tires do you have, and did you check tire pressures?

At 80mph, the 944 is a very stable car, specially compared to other cars from the same era...
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
My page over1g@hotmail.com
Porsche owners Gallery.../My 944
Old 05-30-2001, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Tyres are standard 215/60ZR15 on Teledial rims. Pressures as per handbook.

I haven't altered camber yet (though may have disturbed it when changing struts). I would have thought something more fundamental was at fault.
Old 05-30-2001, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
My guess would be that you need to get the car aligned again. Even the most experienced can't guestimate the alignment (camber) settings after replacing shocks, without the proper equipment.

You could go for a little bit more toe in, that may help high speed stability a bit (and increase caster).
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
My page over1g@hotmail.com
Porsche owners Gallery.../My 944
Old 05-30-2001, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Smile

One of the guys who races his 944S in the local Porsche Club events had a similar problem after replacing his shocks. They put the camber and toe settings back to what they were before the replacement but the car was still unstable. It turned out the the new shocks increased the ride height enough to throw things out of wack on the track. According to him they adjusted the ride height at the back of the car then set everthing back to the original settings.

I hope this helps,

Mark
86' 944NA

Old 05-30-2001, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: