Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy 968 Clutch problem

Got a big problem, does any one out there no anything about the clutch on a 968. I went to acelerate fast today and the car didnt move it was in first and the clutch was all the way out so I shifted to second thinking the tires were spinning then I noticed a smell it smelled like a burnt clutch so I let off the gass put it in neutral and gave it a second put back in first and tried it again only this time not so hard it worked fine, The clutch seems fine it engages with about half the pedal off the floor, and its not hard to shift and no grinding, what could have caused this.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Your clutch is shot. Disc is worn. How old is the clutch.....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 09-26-2003, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

There were no other symptoms, How can you tell a clutch is going, I not sure how old it is I havent had it that long.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

you are lucky it's a 968

replacement is a snap compared to the 944

Early '85 944
Old 09-26-2003, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Find a hill.....Go up the hill. It should become quite obvious. The RPM's may climb and the car will not accelerate as it should. Then admire the smell of burnt clutch.

How many miles on the car?
Old 09-26-2003, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lilwolffeman
try putting it in 4th and drop the clutch. see how long it takes before it dies. the longer it takes it means your clutch is more worn.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

there is 100,000 miles on it , when you said drop the clutch do you mean just let off it or rev up yhe RPM then let off the clutch.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

I'm sure he meant to release the clutch 'normally'. the engine should die quickly
Old 09-27-2003, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I did that it didnt die as soon as I thought, but it did stall out.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

one other way is to cruise at a constant speed and then quickly accelerate. if the rpm increase without a noticeable (read: corresponding) increase in roadspeed, the clutch is slipping
Old 09-27-2003, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

one other way is to cruise at a constant speed and then quickly accelerate. if the rpm increase without a noticeable (read: corresponding) increase in roadspeed, the clutch is slipping
Old 09-27-2003, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

so your clutch is slipping............

100K maybe a little early........ but its definitely not holding. It should of died on the spot.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Clutches do not have to slip to be shot.

-MAS
Old 09-28-2003, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

yess. zey can be shot merely for suspicion of shlippink. after which zey vill be immediately transferred to ze eastern front. ve haff vays, you know.

prepare ze firing shkvad
Old 09-28-2003, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Achtung!

Az zee untermensch ronin said, zee clutch my not be shot. Zee master zylinder may perhaps be out of adjustment...

There should be some free play in your clutch pedal - a little "dead space" if you will before you get active resistance on the prdal.

If your clutch pedal is rock hard from the start, you may have to back the master cylinder off a bit - the rod that attaches to the back side of teh clutch pedal is where the adjustment is made.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 09-28-2003, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

its not rock hard it has about 1/4 inch before it gets hard, I let my friend drive it to see what he thought but he couldnt tell but again whenever you drive it you smell clutch. What could cause that...and on a side not should a eclispe GS ba able to acelerate faster than a 968.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Juvy I was thinking that maybe his master could have been causing the problem.... but I could not think how it could tighten up unless someone went and physically move the rod on him.....

Unluckylow... 1/4 inch is ok... ideally 3 mm which is next to nothing. You can still adjust it like AF said to get it back to 3mm.

Can you jack the car up and pull the inspection plug out of the bellhousing. You can actually see the master pushing.... As I recall you it should have about 18mm of travel (don't quote me, check the book).

The other thing that can happen as well........ the rear seal could be leaking bad. Oil on the disc not a good thing. Either way ... back to the clutch is shot answer.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

They seem to tighten up on their own if the lock nut isn't tight.

That said, if you have some free play and still slipping, you are probably due for a replacement

100K miles isn't too bad for a clutch.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 09-28-2003, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: