Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Can you Turbo convert an NA?????

Is it possible to convert a NA 944 into a Turbo? ANy idea on costs and HP gain.

I have also heard many variations o the actual HP I am suppose to have right now. I it is a 1984 944NA 5 speed.

James

Old 06-07-2001, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Rollins Send a message via AIM to Rollins
There is a guy in the forum who did. It's you right Marksport? The general consensus is that for the amount of money it would cost you could buy at least one 951, possibly more.
Old 06-07-2001, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Rollins is right, it would be cheaper to get a 951. But then, my motor is rebuilt and is being assembled this weekend so that it will handle a nominal boost of 18psi. I'll post results soon. There are several issues that must be looked at, mainly fuel and compression/knock elimination.
Old 06-08-2001, 12:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Bay Area Patriot

a true way to show idiocy and irresponsibility as well as ignorance and stupidity buying a turbo kit for a 944 NA. GET A 944 Turbo if u want a turbocharged Porsche. At least you know the car was engineered to have that turbo instead of just adding one on and having problems in the future.

'nuff said...

------------------
Porsche. Es gibt keinen Ersatz.
Old 06-08-2001, 12:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Wink

Eurospec sounds angry. why not supercharge, you'll get better driveabillity and low end power. i always wondered how you modify the vacuum(?) system, 'cuz now it is all under positive pressure. i guess you route it all to the intake side of the poweradder.

[This message has been edited by EGSMachine (edited 06-08-2001).]
Old 06-08-2001, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It depends on where the throttle plate is. If the throttle plate is before the superchager then you would get vacuum inbetween the throttle plate and the superchager. If the superchager is before the throttle plate you would get it from the intake manifold I think. I worked on a Dodge 600 with a turbo before the throttle plate and the vacuum came from the manifold but it didn't build much boost.
Old 06-08-2001, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
this topic has been covered at length. do a search.

btw, the solution is obvious.

Old 06-08-2001, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by EuroSpec944:
a true way to show idiocy and irresponsibility as well as ignorance and stupidity buying a turbo kit for a 944 NA. GET A 944 Turbo if u want a turbocharged Porsche. At least you know the car was engineered to have that turbo instead of just adding one on and having problems in the future.

I asked what I thought was a straightforward question. I did not expect to get a smart assed comment like this. I have only had my car a short while and had just wondered the possibility. I guess thats too much to ask?

Makes someone want to not bother even asking questions on this group. The reason for asking a question is because you don't know the answer and hope someone with some tact may actually give you an answer.

Thanks.. I appreciated your ever so helpful input.

'nuff said...

Old 06-08-2001, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Rollins Send a message via AIM to Rollins
Yea, I agree with James. I don't see how it shows idiocy, irresonsibility, or stupidity. Ignorance perhaps, but not a bad kind. He is new, he just didn't know. Anyway, James it is possible and it is expensive. Most of the guys here agree that the turbo body style looks a lot better. It also is more effective for the turbo car. The kit to do that conversion is close to $1000 alone. Depending on your location, a beat up turbo can be had for under $4,000 and a good one all the way into the 10's, I've even seen some advertised locally for 25,000 or so. But that's ridiculous.
Old 06-08-2001, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the explaination. I just thought that it might be a turbo that could bolt on or something. (I really have no mechanical skills.... as you can tell) I just thought there might be a way to add it to my car without going and buying another. I thought if it was under $3000 i might do it. I now know better.

Thanks for you input :-)

James
Old 06-08-2001, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I am sure converting to a turbo would be expensive but not stupid. I bought my na944 about 7 years ago and thought about it then, didn't even know about a 951 at that point! I later bout a 951 and drive my na 944 daily and drive my951 in the summer only. Knoxville Supercharging (TN)does coversions on 944's and there is another place that has kits that has been talked about on here. If my 951 tubo ever goes down I am going to look at having knoxville Supercharging put there kit on my 951.
Old 06-08-2001, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Bay Area Patriot

yea i was pissed off when i wrote that, about something else though. I just don't understand why a person would turbo a 944 NA when they can go buy a 951 for an equal investment. Why not supercharge?????

------------------
Porsche. Es gibt keinen Ersatz.
Old 06-08-2001, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
You really want to know why I am so Ignorant?
It's because I knew that my parents don't like this car, and if I sold it, I would not own another Porsche for a good 3 years after I finish College. Rather put some hard work and dedication than drive a Diesel Golf for the next few years. And considering what I have been through with this car, I don't want to sell it. At the time the turbo kit came along, a 952 tranny also did since for $800 complete. I blew my original tranny a few months back, around Nov '99 so I needed a rebuild or another unit. With oil cooler and LSD for $800, you can't go wrong. Now consider that this motor will be pushing around 330-360hp reliably and is a direct drop-in for any 2.5L N/A. It's got a rebuilt, o-ringed 951 head and 951 oversized pistos, I can still drop it into a 951 and just change the oil pan and the intake. And have a Centerforce clutch with the N/A (smaller) diameter, 225 vs 240.

Old 06-09-2001, 01:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: