Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cool Kriket users stand up and be counted

It took two different NAPA stores to find the tool because it wasn't in the book.

I asked the guy to do a silly thing and type KR-1 into the computer and the strangest look came over the guys face, the silly customer was right, they had it.

They had both and the only thing I could see different was the ears on the sides of the KR-2.

$3 difference on the price.

Of the two, which is the one you found to work better as I can't afford the P-car tool.

"may the force be with you"
Old 09-28-2003, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
I will be buying one next time I do my belts. We compaired the kriket to the porsche tool at 944fest, they both read the exact same thing. I don't see why you wouldn't want to buy a kriket...
Old 09-28-2003, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

to reiterate bearone. it would definitely be useful to know the difference between the tools and if it matters for our application. the price is incosequential but knowing you have the right tool (or the better of the two) is what counts. anyone?
Old 09-28-2003, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If someone would be willing to send the kriket tool to me, I can compare it against the 9201 - complete with pictures.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 09-28-2003, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If someone would be willing to send the kriket tool to me (obviously, I would send it back when I am finished), I can compare it against the 9201 - complete with pictures. Can try it against series 1, series 2, S, S2 and 951.

AFJuvat

Old 09-28-2003, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
I have the Optibelt. Like the Kricket different name. I found it consistent with the Cam Belt and all over the place with the balance belt and adjusted to "feel".

Juvy. Email me and You may use mine. I will be back in town Saturday if that is OK. I have the cal bar for yours if you do not already have it.

Rick
has never left garage (yet)
Old 09-28-2003, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'd do it in a heartbeat but haven't bought either yet.

Come on somebody, step up to the plate.

This is somebody offering a slick evaluation compared to the $$$$$$ unit.

"may the force be with you"
Old 09-28-2003, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Krikit 1 is the one you want. They are for different sized belts.

KR1 - 7/8" wide belts
KR2 - 2" wide belts
KR3 - 3" wide belts
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 09-28-2003, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bearone2
I'd do it in a heartbeat but haven't bought either yet.

Come on somebody, step up to the plate.

This is somebody offering a slick evaluation compared to the $$$$$$ unit.

If no one steps up, I'll do it, but I wouldn't be able to send it til next week. I need it Thursday and Friday
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 09-28-2003, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I can overnight one to you Juvy. PM me.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 09-28-2003, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hey Scott.

Your mailbox is full

Rick, Give me a call - we can test them on your car for the series 1 - killing 2 birds with one stone.

AFJuvat

Old 09-30-2003, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
How neccessary is the tool really? My original Porsche agent had the criticism about the new guy a bunch of us from the Porsche club are using, that he did not have the Porsche tool or kriket. I questioned the new guy about it and he says with years of experience on Porsches it is not neccessary, as it was not neccessary with other makes of cars. And this guy is highly respected,worked for Porsche agents doing GT2's,911's etc worth 20 times my car's value. Are there many of you guys out there doing the belts by feel?
Old 09-30-2003, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I use my Krikit to set the cam belt initially. After that I only feel it with my hand. As my car is tracked, I change the belt every year. I feel it before I take the car to a track event.

My balance shaft belt is set by hand to just below the whinning point.

Others on this list don't use anything and set it by feel.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 09-30-2003, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry Juvy, I emptied it out.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 09-30-2003, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
i have used the krikit 1, for the last 2 or so years, and find that if you take your time, and recheck your results, to make sure you have the same reading/repeatability, then it does the trick.
i did look at finding an alternative to the factory tool, as basically, it is a dial gauge, with the means to calibrate. this is the problem with finding an alternative. you have to have the means of calibrating your gauge, to obtain the correct readings.
i dont doubt for one minute, that the 9201 is extremely accurate and repeats very well, but the krikit is quite repeatable, and i believe within the ball park, as regards the 9201's readings.
depends how "safe" you want to feel with your adjustment. its all relative, if you buy a belt, that has a fault. no matter what you use, or who does the job.
i tend to look at it this way. i was going to obtain my timing/balance belts from the local dealer. he wanted $57 for timing, and $167 for balance. i ended up getting from pelican for $12/ 34. were the "official" porsche belts any better, because they were more expensive??.
at the end of the day, its your call, and your engine!!. if you feel confident with the krikit, then go ahead. if not, then obtain the 9201, or get the shop to do it!
main thing i think, is regular belt maintainance/replacement.
good luck with your choice.
regards, bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
so does this thing 'churp' or something? is it shaped like a bug? why is it called a krikit?

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
thats too funny! its quite a simple system actually. as you push the krikit against the belt, at a certain point, you hear a distinct "click", and that means "stop pushing", remove the krikit, and take your reading.
at the same pressure, it always "clicks", so you get repeatability.
as you push the gauge against the belt, an arm moves out, over a scale, that you read across. quite simple, but it works. i think it was originally intended for power steering /alternator belts, but i find i works out ok. there is one being marketed, with the actual settings for the 944 belts marked on the gauge. eventually, i will get this one too, as i feel it will be better than the krikit--not more accurate, just better for reading/adjusting to the settings.
hope this is useful to you,
regards, bob.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I have used the 9201 and the KR1. Practice is the key and while I had both on hand, I did the belt several times to get a method down. The KR1 is just as good as the 9201, though I'm sure that there are those who would dispute that. For me, the KR1 is entirely adequate. The key is to measure the same way, same place each time. Once I had that part down, I hit dead on the 9201 every time.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

so yagi, what tool is the one that has the 944 settings on it?
Old 09-30-2003, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
ok, use your search engine,and look up "blaszak precision motorsports".
you will find all the info you require there, and a basic introduction, in how to use the tool.
he is marketing a tool, exactly the same as the krikit, but the settings for the 944 belts, are marked on the scale.
on my krikit, i scribed thick lines, where these settings are, and this works ok,but i think i'm going to get the one from blaszak, as an upgrade.
regards, bob.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: