Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Loud Noise Please Help

My 86 turbo makes a loud bang when I am backing up and first apply the brakes. It does not the noise going forward though and only makes the bang when the brakes are first applied. I can only guess there is some severe play in something back there (the noise comes from the rear and sounds so bad I think I've backed into something every time!) but I have jacked it up and not found anything obvious. Any sugestions? (other than don't back up

Thanks,

John
74 International Harvester Scout II
96 Plymouth Voyager
Old 10-01-2003, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Autobahn Garage

Check your shocks to see if they are loose, also see if you brake calipers are tight [ the mounting bolts] The tranny mounts go bad and are hard to tell by looking at them, pry against the trans see if it moves alot ,a little is O.K. If you take your time you will find it don't give up GOOD LUCK
57, Speedster
Old 10-15-2003, 12:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I had a 73 IH Scout II. Awesom truck!

Anyway like the above post stated, shocks first, followed by transmission mount, then spring plate busings. And of course make sure your jack and spare tire are secure.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-15-2003, 01:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Brake pads shifting in the calipers.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My '73 TR-6 once had a similar mysterious sound - I later found an empty beer bottle rolling around under the passenger seat. I think checking the jack is a prime candidate.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by Porsche944
Brake pads shifting in the calipers.
ditto! (trust me)
Old 10-16-2003, 01:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the help, I have not had a chance to look at again since I originally posted, had a new baby boy born!

My money is on the pads shifting though, but can be done? I'll check the shocks and everything else though. No chance of beer bottle, I am never that lucky, its always the worst thing for me. Also I am a fenatic about not having crap in the car. Once I kept hearing water sloshing and was going crazy thinking my sunroof was leaking or something an it turned out my wife left a water bottlr jammed under the seat!

Anyway, have a much more serious issue now, see me post about blown head gasket.

thanks again,

John.

Oh yeah, don't know if this is appropriate, but need to sell the scout and my not running 944 na asap to raise funds for my baby and my new son.
74 International Harvester Scout II
96 Plymouth Voyager
Old 11-02-2003, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

nio matter what you do, just don't sell the 951
Old 11-02-2003, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: