Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Replace a 951 w/?

If I were to replace my 944 turbo w/something, what do you guys think would be a good car? The price I'm willing to pay is quite flexible, but the range is somewhere between 5-24k or so. Lower the better, obviously. I'd be most comfortable spending about 7-10k.

I thought about buying a subaru imprezza 2.5rs (older model), and swapping a JDM STi engine/transaxle, or get a 240 sx and put another turbo nissan engine in it... Ofcourse there's always the option of going w/a 968, and a turbo but that's lots of work, and money. What else should I be looking at? (300zx/supra are too heavy for my taste, rx-7s are too problematic).
Ahmet
Old 10-12-2003, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
why do you want to get rid of the 951?
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 10-12-2003, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

May be a 968 turbo....you donŽt need extra work and you woŽnt miss your 951...
Or maybe a 911 turbo,a 20 year old one,if 968 is too expensive
Old 10-12-2003, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PorscheG96
Re: Replace a 951 w/?

Quote:
Originally posted by 1.2gees
Ofcourse there's always the option of going w/a 968, and a turbo but that's lots of work, and money. What else should I be looking at? (300zx/supra are too heavy for my taste, rx-7s are too problematic).
My car.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
a new 951!
Old 10-12-2003, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I love the 951, I just want a little bit more refinement and perhaps a better suspension design, the semi trailing arms seem a bit ancient after tossing around subarus and bmws etc. w/their a arm/multi link suspensions... The 911 has never been my thing, and the value it represents is nothing to be happy about either. Perhaps if I could have more than 3 cars one could be a 911, I'd also like a garage to keep one in. I feel bad enough about parking my average condition 951 outside a town home, this applies to a possible 968 as well.

Anyway, the 944 turbo is a fabulously executed car, and I do enjoy it a lot. I have been playing w/944s for what 5+years now? I'm starting to get offers of ~7k on my turbo, which seems attractive. I like the car, and it seems solid (ofcourse if I keep it, I will never be "done" w/it) but I never thought it'd be worth money w/205k miles on the chasis. Anyway, I want to be open minded but have a hard time seeing myself in another car (then a 944t/968t), specially considering the fun/$ ratio a 951 presents, even though a 968 has considerably more bling. G96, is your car really for sale and if so why and how much?
Ahmet
Old 10-12-2003, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PorscheG96
Yeah man, it's been up for sale since June. I've known you for a long time this could be perfect. E-mail me.

PorscheG96@yahoo.com
Old 10-12-2003, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
i do have a solution that you might be interested in. pm me if curious.

Old 10-12-2003, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

1995 bmw m3
Oh wait...it's a stock M3
Old 10-12-2003, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
Hmmm....

'98-'99 Boxster (would be towards the upper limit of your price range, however)

E36 M3

WRX

Honda S2000 (early ones are selling for the low-20's_

Miata (can turbo it and do lots of other mods)

Acura NSX (early models can be ahd for ~20K if you look hard)

Acura RSX-S (FWD but terrific handling)

Lexus SC300 manual (probably a tad haevy for your tastes, but same platform and engine as a Supra...can tubo it and make it into a great sleeper)

Audi A4 (1.8T can be modded very well)

Honda Prelude (another great handling FWD car)
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 10-12-2003, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Blackfoot, you have a PM.

M3s are way over priced for what they are (IMO) and offer nothing more for me other than perhaps more bling on the street, and more refinement. I don't see myself living w/a non turbo M3, and turbocharged, I would probably be pressed for money.

Boxter's an idea, but it wouldn't satisfy me w/out two turbos, and that, again would be pushing the price. I could do it, but I don't want to have a car w/lots of custom work, and be out of money, as w/the M3...

A WRX would need too much work to be fun on track or anywhere nearly as capable as my 951 is now, but will remain a possibility because I like them, and they're practical. This is a strong possibility.

S2000 is a little on the slow side, no backseat is a draw back, it's kind of small too. They're also expensive, but lots of fun to drive so perhaps a possibility.

Miata's too small, and too slow. However w/a turbo they do have potential, slim chanse, but possible.

NSX is a car I've been thinking about, fabulous chasis, would be fun w/a turbo, but that would start pushing the money issue a little. I do like how they look, sound and especially drive. Perhaps?

RSX is out, no FWD for me.

The SC 300 is indeed too heavy, nice car though.

A4 is out, that car's a pig w/the overworked 1.8 and that small turbo. Real torque takes lots of money from that engine. I'd do a late 90s S4 before I go to an A4.

Honda Prelude is a descent car, I've owned one (got stolen few weeks ago!). Even as a backup car it was starting to get irritating. Way underpowered, softly sprung, small brakes, etc. Even if it werent FWD I wouldn't consider it (well maybe I would've).
Ahmet
Old 10-12-2003, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

traitor
i dont know how realistic a drivable NSX for under 30k is.
i vote for the 968 if possible.
do you have a problem with the 928's?
Old 10-12-2003, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPants
traitor
i dont know how realistic a drivable NSX for under 30k is.
i vote for the 968 if possible.
do you have a problem with the 928's?
I bet for it...
And it seems like you own a turbo factory,why that obsession with turbos?You donŽt like high torque at low rpm?
Old 10-12-2003, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I think an NSX for under $30k is do-able, but I haven't been following the market all that closely.

I haven't driven a 928 in a very long time, but no I would not consider one, again too heavy.

Manute, I don't value low end torque much, it seems that other than when taking off (in the city) low end torque is really not that usefull. Most turbocharged engines make their peak torque at a lower rpm compared to a similar naturally aspirated engine, so keep that in mind also. But I have personal reasons as well, I like the challange of driving a turbocharged vehicle, it adds yet one more thing to "worry about", or get used to, and enhance the experience with. I liken it to auto vs. manual transmissions.

To be perfectly honest, I would love to turbocharge an engine that displaces larger than 2.5 liters, has a beautifull combustion chamber, and at least a semi closed deck block w/more than 2 valves per cylinder(968, supra, skyline, etc.). In a perfect world, this car would have unequal length double a-arms in the front w/a 5 link rear suspension, a removable roof panel and weigh around 2800lbs wet with 50/50 or slightly more rearward weight bias, and be front mid, or mid engined, w/about the dimentions of an NSX or 944.
Ahmet
Old 10-13-2003, 12:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

It's a shame the 3rd gen Rx-7's are so problematic - sounds like the kind of car you're looking for...

1985.5 944
Dodge Viper Blue on black/tan
white face gauges
throttle cam
short shift kit
Old 10-13-2003, 12:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

You could consider a '90 - '91 Quattro Coupe and turbo it. They Turbocharge very easily, feature a 20V 5-cyl engine, are nearly bulletproof.

Unfortunatley Audi's are not the lightest cars in the world, and the engine hangs way over the front crossmember.

1985.5 944
white face gauges
throttle cam
short shift kit
Old 10-13-2003, 12:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

Quote:
Originally posted by 1.2gees
Manute, I don't value low end torque much, it seems that other than when taking off (in the city) low end torque is really not that usefull. Most turbocharged engines make their peak torque at a lower rpm compared to a similar naturally aspirated engine, so keep that in mind also. But I have personal reasons as well, I like the challange of driving a turbocharged vehicle, it adds yet one more thing to "worry about", or get used to, and enhance the experience with. I liken it to auto vs. manual transmissions.

exactly! sure, the low-end torque of an N/A does come in handy when racing through low-speed turns with others but after that, it's all turbo, baby. the challenge is definitely something that I really enjoy.

Soooo....

Ahmet, buddy, friend, compadre.... if money isn't an issue, just keep it! you'll miss it if you don't! just buy whatever you want and keep the turbo!! you won't regret it
Old 10-13-2003, 12:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Or how about a 1st Gen Talon TSI? A little older than most of the cars you've mentioned, but something to consider.

Capable, and the cost would be on the lower side...

1985.5 944
white face gauges
throttle cam
short shift kit
Old 10-13-2003, 12:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Just yesterday I let a friend of mine who tracks a modified e36 (who's 2nd engine swap in 9 months I'm helping with), and he got the car sideways just getting on boost in 3rd doing about 65... He says it would take him forever to get comfortable w/a car like mine, for me though, I can't go back to something that's "easy" to drive anymore.

Here's a little history of my car adventure:
I was given a prelude right before I turned 16. I did sway bars, head work, exhaust/intake etc. on it, then I wanted more... Test drove a 944 and bought one in a couple of weeks. I wanted better handling went to 3 times the spring rate, lowered it, put sway bars on it, bigger wheels, exhaust, intake, cam, tracked it/auto-xed it, and that was fun. Then one day there was this pesky type R I was lapping faster than, but didn't have the power to pull from in the passing zones. That was it for me, so I bought the 944t. It's probably making around 310ft-lbs (nearly 2x the power of the last one, around the same weight), upgraded the brakes, and the suspension, and I was alright w/all that for a little while too. I played around with a supercharged C5 for a weekend, tossed around a couple of modified bmws, and got to experience a 350+awhp subie, and predictably, now I want more.

I may buy another car and hold onto the 951, but I just bought an audi quattro last week, so maybe I should calm down... I can't justify owning 3 cars, and I really feel like I'm ready to play with something else. I've always appreciated the 951, and always will. I'm not seeking heart change, just want to play with a different animal. Money is (always)an issue, I can spend 7-10k without touching my savings if I sell my turbo first, and that's what I would like to do. Maybe I'll change my mind after doing some more track events... I always manage to convince myself that the power I have is enough, but I'm sure 400hp would keep me interested a while longer. I just don't want to "waste" more money/time w/a 951 if there's a "better" platform for me to mess around with.
Ahmet
Old 10-13-2003, 12:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
VT944, I like having a rare and distinctive car (I just want too much don't I). However, I've been interested in a DSM for a while so I may do that but perhaps as a second car and not quite the replacement for the 944t. The back up car is currently an audi quattro (which I hope to not modify)!
Ahmet
Old 10-13-2003, 12:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: