Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

after timing belt change problems

Hi,
I've just completed the waterpump, front seals, timing belt, thermostat,and thermoswitch change and have 2 lasting problems I need expert advice on.

1) After starting up and running without covers and power steering or alternator belts on I wanted to check the cooling system and timing. Timing and balance belts are great however there is no noticeable flow of coolant after the car warms up to past the 3/4 mark.(grabbing upper and lower hoses are cool to touch). After searching the forum I'm hoping it's not the new thermostat (PITA after waterpump installation) but leaning towards improper bleeding. Could improper bleeding cause sufficient pockets of air that the thermostat not open? Also the old thermostat had nothing installed but the thermostat and snap ring (no rubber sleeve around thermostat). Could wiggle it around yet never had cooling problems.

2) Before the teardown the battery was starting to go dead after 1 or 2 cranks and wouldn't hold a charge. I am going to replace after the belt/pump change. So, I had to jump to get it cranked and figuring that since the alternator belt was off anyway I would just keep cables on from host vehicle while the 944 did the initial warm up. After realizing the possicle thermostat problem and shutting everything off, I walked around rear and noticed gas leaking from under fuel tank where the 2 covers come together. SOB, another problem to fix!!!! It finally stopped after shutting the car off. Could this come from no alternator, host jumping for 10 min or more/ or just another problem unrelated?
Sorry so long.
Thanks in advanced.

87' NA 944

Old 11-29-2003, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Yup.... insufficient bleeding.... If the coolant is not able to reach the temp sensor as well then the fans won't turn on either... Keep bleeding...

Uhmm not sure about #2.. I can't see how that charging setup would of ruined something??? but then again that is an interesting way to warm up the car. My first guess would be fuel filter, but hopefully it is not the gas tank.... augggghhhh
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-29-2003, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the help.
More bleeding solved it.

The gas leak seem to go away on it's on. (I can see the black cloud dissipating).

Last question.
The belts whine now even after retensioning them.
Will the whining eventually subside after the belts "break-in" or is this one of those "Stop! Don't drive any further issues"?
(My first belt change on the 944)

Thanks in advanced.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Yup they whine......

It gets better as time goes on....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-30-2003, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Belt whine = too tight and/or bad idler.

Never ignore a gasoline leak.

New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 11-30-2003, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: