Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New Member/owner questions

HI to all i live in the UK just bought my first Porsche 944 (1985) with manual gearbox. after picking it up i have noticed a loud wining noise coming from the rear of the car from about 30 mph upwards, it doesn’t matter which gear I am in but the noise is only present when I accelerate or decelerate not when I maintain a constant speed. It seems to come from the rear in the centre and its very similar to the noise the gearbox makes when reversing any help comments or subjections and I would be very great full thanks in advance

Old 12-06-2003, 02:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Check the gear oil level first. Sman
Old 12-06-2003, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the group.

as 924Sman said, you need to make sure your transmission is filled properly.

The fill and drain plugs should be on the transmission, passenger side, the fill plug is the top, drain is on the bottom. You will need a 17mm hex wrench to remove the plugs. Make sure you can remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug.

Proper fluid level: With the car on a level surface, the fluid should be just below the bottom of the fill hole.

Recommend using mobil-1 gear oil. capacity is just over 3 quarts.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information

Last edited by AFJuvat; 12-06-2003 at 07:15 AM..
Old 12-06-2003, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Thanks for posting the "how to" AF!....I am hesitant to instruct at first not wanting to assume someones lack of knowledge. People are funny at times you know! I figure if they need the know how they will ask. Later! Sman
Old 12-06-2003, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks to AFJuvat and 924Sman, I'll get on that one. First to sort is a leak from somewhere on the fuel line under offside wheel arch, and a dribble from the power steering boot. Great so far though. I had a 924 before, but not so many simarlarities under the hood of course being such a different beast. I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The 944 is everything the early 924's should have been.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

SoCal: Agree partially with your comment about the 924/944, all except for the fragility of the drivetrain. All other problem areas are minor and easily correctable. But, Ya gotta admit from the standpoint of servicability, the ol' Porsche "Injunirs" could have done a better job re: timing system, clutch maintenance and ring/pinion/CVs. The 924 engine, underpowered as it was, was also virtually bulletproof and could drop a timing belt with no internal damage. And, timing belts were easy to install, you could use the good old half twist method to test tightness, and you were good to go!! (plus, they were not as prone to break) I did replace one on a trip under the lights of a shopping center parking lot with an additional flashlight and my "emergency wrench set". But, the 924 still had the "grenade in a can" clutch and I did suffer a CV failure. Thank God I was only doing about 15 mph in traffic and was able to retrieve four of the bolts, push the beast off the road and install them with vise grips tight enough to get home. Replaced with new and checked them every month after that....Had that car nine years and most of the $$ I spent were making the body/interior into a show winner. Wish I could say the same of the '44. After 4+ years of ownership and replacing/rebuilding every major system, maybe 2004 will be the year I can start on the cosmetics. And, the '44 only had 75k on the clock when I bought it, but was a victim of "benign neglect". But then again, I bought the '24 at a Police auction in Phoenix with a broken odometer, and a lot of electrical (minor) problems. Go figure.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
What year was the 924? I had mine stolen in Phoenix in 1979. Like a fool I bought a second one.

Yes the 944 is high strung. Porsche did everything they could to get as much performance out of the design as possible. Remarkable for it's day.

I just drove my 83 out to Temecula and back to Costa Mesa. About 90 miles each way. Was all I could do to stay with the 80 mph traffic and not cruise at 100.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver

I just drove my 83 out to Temecula and back to Costa Mesa. About 90 miles each way. Was all I could do to stay with the 80 mph traffic and not cruise at 100.
I just did sort of the same thing.
Drove from Downtown LA to San Diego, down the 5.
I have a GPS, cuz my speedo is broke.
I look down at the GPS and I'm doing like 115 mph, just as smooth as can be ( especially since the spare tire isn't on the front anymore )

Don
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 12-06-2003, 11:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 924Sman
Thanks for posting the "how to" AF!....I am hesitant to instruct at first not wanting to assume someones lack of knowledge. People are funny at times you know! I figure if they need the know how they will ask. Later! Sman
I get nervous as well. On the Porsche group on Usenet, someone posted a simple question: how much oil does a 911SC hold? Several of us posted the amount. and that was that. People ask for obscure specs and stats all the time.

Next day, the guy posts saying his engine's smoking, oil is coming out of it everywhere, what's going on? He'd simply drained the sump and dumped 12 quarts in, unaware you have to drain the tank as well!

Now the newbies get ticked when we answer questions with "why do you want to know, exactly?"

Emanuel
Old 12-07-2003, 01:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

SoCal:

THE 924 WAS A 1977. Paid very litttle for it. It was red with an interior that looked like it came out of at least three cars. Seats were brown, door panels were black, etc. Did a LOT ot upholstry work on that puppy...Had minor damage to LH front fender and the rear bumper had to be rewelded since it had a crack in it. Engine was as clean as a houndstooth both inside and out. The basic problems were electrical; must have replaced hundreds of feet of wiring and redesigned the relay system for the cooling fan.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Not mine. Was almost a year old. Bought it new.

Old 12-08-2003, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: