Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to RichMason
How much power for an automatic and suggestions for performance modifications

Greetings,

I'm in the early stages of planning a conversion to automatic from manual in my 951. I'm leaning towards the n/a automatic instead of a tip due to cost and technical considerations but the cost-savings will be outweighed if I have to rebuild the thing every other year. So, in the Pelican world view, what are the horpower/torque limits of the 944 n/a automatic transmission in rebuilt stock form? Since I am going to have it rebuilt, what performance modifications would people suggest while they are in there? Finally, what is the limit for a modified tranny? Like many of you, I'm saving for that 350 rwhp upgrade down the road...

Thanks for all of your advice.

87 951 for sale $5500
Old 02-02-2004, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
It would be a pain to drive an automatic turbo.....

I like driving on the edge of being in boost....so the auto will like to upshift to stay smooth.

I would not think an automatic turbo would work very well at all.

...and if you think you can rev up a 350rwhp out of 1st in an automatic... LOLOLOL then slam it in to second and then drive....

OMG.... it would be awesome the first time............but I am pretty sure you would not have a second time to try this with that tranny.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws

Last edited by ae1969; 02-02-2004 at 11:18 AM..
Old 02-02-2004, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Do you really want a 3 speed automatic that you can't manually shift? On one hand the gears are long, which is good if you like going all out every now and then, as you stay in each gear for a longer period of time, but on the other, if you need to get going from a dead stop... I can't imagine how bad a 951 would be w/a 3 speed auto from a stop... Probably comparable to a 924...

I would not even consider the 3 speed na auto transaxle possibility. That transaxle should be pretty weak as it is, considering it's lifted out of VW from the 80s (one could say it's already overstressed w/less than 170 crank hp), but that's just a guess.
Ahmet
Old 02-02-2004, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If memory serves, the trannie is either based on or identical to one built by Mercedes Benz. Not completely sure.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
That's the transmission in the 928. The 944 used a vw/audi unit.

87 951 for sale $5500
Old 02-02-2004, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

and before you ask...the 4 speed 928 automatic won't fit in a 944

I seem to remember there was someone who said this was tried...the audi/vw (087/010) 3 speed auto matched to a turbo...and that it didn't want to upshift under load...or got confused as to what gear it was supposed to go to downshifting...whatever, it was not a good match

Early '85 944
Old 02-04-2004, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah...motodyne said the 928 unit won't work. 968 is looking better by the day...

87 951 for sale $5500
Old 02-04-2004, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I just don't understand how the tiptronic shifting is 'managed'...can you splice in a 2nd DME from a 968? Or without a 968 DME does the tip run in a 'limp home' mode and allow you to 'manually' shift through the 4 gears?

Early '85 944
Old 02-04-2004, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I haven't gotten the detailed estimate and I don't know what the transmission needs from the DME beyond throttle position and rpm. Rob told me that he ties the 968 tip into the 951's DME to receive the proper signals. Whether he has to massage them or add aditional sensors, I don't yet know.

87 951 for sale $5500
Old 02-04-2004, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

I have a stock 1987 944 auto trans. The transmission is from an Audi, I know because I used to own a Audi 5000 the transmission is identical even the same filter change.

The transmission lasted me about 135K miles, before it needed rebuilt.

I would not recommend a turbo automatic. In fact if I buy a new porsche I will either buy a stick or tiptronic trans.

my two cents....
Old 02-04-2004, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: