Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to LuckySideBurns
-85/1 dash vs 85/2+ dash

Alright folks, new to this board (I'm a BMW enthusiast convert) and I'm planning to purchase a 944 shortly. My question from current owners is which dash seems to be better suited to the Porsche "experience"? The early dash seems to have a little bit more of a "sporty" feel to it, with the seperate recessed guages... however.. the newer dash seems to be a bit more aesthetically pleasing. The exterior of the vehicles seem to be nearly identical.. so this is the main question that plagues me. Also, any tips for a newbie? Oh and one more thing.. do you think it's worth it to blow all my money on a 944 in excellent condition to use as a daily driver, or should i buy a "mechanic's special" to use as a sunday driver and a boring sedan for a daily driver. As always, any info is greatly appreciated.
-nick sergi
Old 02-09-2004, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Speaking as the owner of an early dash car, I think the later dashes are much more appealing. I've read that they offer better ventilation as well, but I've got no complaints about mine.

As for condition: usually the guide is how you intend to use the car and if you intend to keep it. If you aren't collecting it, then get as nice and well-maintained a car as you can afford and use it as a daily driver until you're ready to dump it. If your goal is to own it for life and you want to preserve it, get some cheap reliable used car as your daily driver. Take what's left and use it to start saving for as nice a 944 as you can locate on the continent. In my experience, it's always better to start with a good car than to to buy a fixer-upper; it's less frustrating and you get to enjoy the car more often.

Emanuel

Last edited by epbrown; 02-09-2004 at 11:35 PM..
Old 02-09-2004, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
i like my early dash

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
I have to say I vote for the early dash - reminds me of the cockpit of a Mooney if you've ever been in one. . .

Black Cars Matter
Old 02-09-2004, 11:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Welcome Mr. Sideburns!! I agree with the early dash although it is not steamline in design as the post 85 dash. That is where I have grown to like the early dash as it adds some dimentional characteristics vs. flat as the late dash is. But I own my car because of other reasons and cosmetics is not one of them. So I am cool with the early look!
For now the only car I own and drive it everywhere even in 12" of the white stuff! So buy it and drive it! Sman
Old 02-10-2004, 12:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Certified Rennwerker

Send a message via MSN to 924Sman
Quote:
Originally posted by epbrown
Speaking as the owner of an early dash car, I think the later dashes are much more appealing. I've read that they offer better ventilation as well, but I've got no complaints about mine.

As for condition: usually the guide is how you intend to use the car and if you intend to keep it. If you aren't collecting it, then get as nice and well-maintained a car as you can afford and use it as a daily driver until you're ready to dump it. If your goal is to own it for life and you want to preserve it, get some cheap reliable used car as your daily driver. Take what's left and use it to start saving for as nice a 944 as you can locate on the continent. In my experience, it's always better to start with a good car than to to buy a fixer-upper; it's less frustrating and you get to enjoy the car more often.

Emanuel
Yes I would rather work on a non running Porsche any day than dump cash into a domestic money pit and get far more pleasure out of it! Sman
Old 02-10-2004, 12:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Not only differences in the dash. The early suspension is stamped steel while the later is aluminum.

The early suspension is much cheaper to rebuild, specially the ball joints, and provides much the same handling as the aluminum.

Seen a few attemps to swap in the later dashes. None fully successful. The AC and fresh air controls are not the same. Nor are the door panels and mirror controls.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-10-2004, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I prefer the later design...But find out what you like the best...perhaps just finding the right car in your area of search...
Good luck/skill!
Old 02-10-2004, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Personally I would like several of each!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 02-10-2004, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Welcome to the board!

A fixer upper 944 can be alot of work but rewarding. Don't get one unless you plan on doing some major work on your own. Otherwise the expen$e is quite large.

I do like my early dash and interior although it needs a little updating. The later cars have many more "gadgets"....neat but more to go wrong too.

That said.....I plan on keeping my early AND getting a late as well..
Old 02-10-2004, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
... if you are in the car quite a bit...

The A/C and Heat have a much better layout on the late model....

but a nice clean example of either would be my first choice....
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 02-10-2004, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I'll cast my vote for early dash. I like the secluded guage look.

Maine 4x4 Club www.maine4x4.org
Old 02-10-2004, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I love the classic feel of the early dash; the later model design is way to close to every other car I've driven - but the early is truly "older" looking... just my opinion
1997 Sentra (unclaimed!)
Old 02-11-2004, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
How tall are you? Later dash has a repositioned steering wheel, gives a lot more room for taller drivers with longer legs. Also, the early dash has the radio/stereo controls mounted way down, the shifter wil block it partially in 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears. Other than that, I like the simplicity of the early dash, but given the choice I'd say teh later dashboard would be better, expecially considering you will be using the vehicle as a daily driver.

In regard to the other question, I think buying the best condition 944 you can find is the way to go. Mechanic specials be a pain if you want to use this car as a daily driver.
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 02-11-2004, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Yeh, the leg thing is my only complaint (albiet a small one) with my early styling. I am almost 6'3 and 200lbs and have to watch the knees getting in.

You may think I am full of it by looking at my signature line because it says "custom interior" as one of my projects. In reality I like both dashes about the same and think they both could be a little better.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: