Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
engine noise?

damn computer! just wrote out a new post, and it seems like the machine lost it!
anyways, after reading, and listening to rez's post, about his engine noise, it seems i have a similiar trouble.
at exactly 1400rpm, i have a similiar noise, although to me, it sounds like a mixture of big-end knock, and detonation. the engine sounds sweet as a nut, and revs freely. below this figure, no noise. and it does not repeat the noise anywhere above 2000rpm. i pulled on the hand brake, and loaded the engine up, letting the clutch out, and no noise, certainly not the big end knock. quite frankly i'm puzzled? it sounds bad at 1400rpm, but no where as bad, or frightening, as rez's was. revving it thru this range produces the knocking sound, which does get more noticeable when warmed up. i changed my belts 2500miles ago, and i am doing the retension next weekend. only other thing, is i notice the exhaust tip, is really black and sooty.
following my normal train of thought, this cant be something simple, it has to be major/catastrophic, and so i'm wondering if it is possible to gain access to the big-end/bearings/pistons etc, with the engine in place?
i'm going to stop by a mechanic friends place, and let him have a listen, although he has no knowledge of porsche, let alone a 944.
cripes, and summer is just around the corner too.
bob.
2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
hi FRW. no, i'm sure its not detonation, it just sounds similiar. i started the car up tonight after i got home, and it sounds like it always has. being cold, no noise at 1400rpm, it just shows up, after the car has been driven for a while. i always use 94 octane, so there should be no probs in that area. i should also had said, that my oil gauge reads full scale deflection on startup, and around 3 bar, when warm.
i think i will have to stop reading other peoples posts, as its almost like getting a virus on the computer!!
for the time being, i'm just going to turn up the cd-player a little louder!!
regards, bob.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
Bob,

What are you using for an oil filter? If the knock exists when warm you may be having a press. relief prob with a cheap or faulty filter.

Many, many years ago I worked for fram and the anti-drain and O/P part of the filters started to fail regularly after Allied took over the company. The Mahle is a high quality filter yet may still malfunction.

Rick
has never left garage (yet)
Old 02-23-2004, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
hi rick, thanks for the input. i have to admit that i have a "knock-off" filter, stp i think, although i do use mobil 1 15/50, and change at 5k.
this weekend, i'm going up to the porsche dealer just north of detroit, and get the "factory" filter. i'm going to put in dino oil, 20/50 , and some other stuff with it, made by lucas, which claims to "quieten" a noisy bottom end. if it still knocks, when warm, then i will have to pull the engine, and see whats up.
many thanks for the idea.
regards, bob.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: