Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 limits ( a few technical questions too)

Hey, i am a rather new 944 owner and in being so i have had the car off the road pretty much ever since i bought it in replacing parts and such. I haven't gotten to test it's limits yet, and i was wondering if anyone has ever 'out-driven' a 944.

When cornering when would it break traction on stock wheels? I did have the pleasure of driving mine for about a week, but i never got to test this too much. I know when cornering very fast and sharp you can hear the tires squeal but they do not feel like they are going to break loose. I was using 215/215's and i am planning on getting 235/245s in hopes of solving the squealing problem.

Has anyone ever rolled one of these? My previous car had electronic suspension which when it would sense a roll over it would stiffen the suspension instantly to break traction and cause you too slide. I plan on upgrading the suspension on these cars and with wider wheels i am afraid of possibly rolling them if i corner too fast since the tires will most likely not break traction.

The suspension feels a bit soft, noticeable body roll compared to a vr4 but very solid to a mustang. I dont know if my parts are worn or it is supposed to be like this. I want to lower the suspension to handle better. I live in DE and ride quality won't be a problem since every highway and major back road is repaved every 1 or 2 years.

Can i adjust the rear supension? I have the rear end jacked up to replace a trailing arm and bearings, and it looks like it's adjustable. Would it hurt for me to adjust this?

What are the limits of the transmissons? Will they break easily, or is it just the clutch that gets ruined?

A really stupid question but one my friend asked me the other day which made me wonder. Has a 944 ever done a wheel stand, turbo or na?

Another stupid question. What will it sound like if i remove the exhaust and run an open cat? My exhaust muffler is really black and chrome, i dont know which it's supposed to be but something is flaking and it looks tacky. I was just going to remove the stock cat even and just run a 3" magnaflow cat then out of side pipes since i am not too sure if i can get rear duals around that gas tank. I just like two pipes because symetry is a big thing to me.

This is a question i just thought of but doesnt have anything to do with limits. I put on an open element filter and there was oil in my stock air box, throttle body (whatever porsche calls it), and intake tract. Is this ok? I know it had full oil and i added some CD2 without draining any so i figured it probably just leaked past the rings or something, but my car has only smoked once. I was peeling out coming out of stop sign on a back road and i shifted into second which gripped up and a cloud of smoke just shot out. It hasnt smoked ever again though.

If there are any limits i am missing please someone add them. I want this to be the do's, don't do's, and how much to do's of the 944.

Black on Black leather
Digital Dash
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Enkei 15x7's
Fog/headlight mod to come

AIM - ShawnMacAnanny
Old 06-20-2004, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Wheel stand. That's funny.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 06-20-2004, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

2 words as far as limits...

DRIVERS EDUCATION

Tires wont do a damn thing if you cant drive.

Ive done DE, and high speed tracking for years....This car still scares the hell out of me sometimes.

Your car is much more capable than you are as a driver. Get some training if your gonna make those tires sqeal.

Join the PCA .

And the stock exhaust setup is just fine.

BTW...If you "Peel Out" on a regular basis, get ready to put in a new tranny.

Last edited by mambodave; 06-20-2004 at 06:44 PM..
Old 06-20-2004, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Used & Abused

It very much depends on tires. I have a set of Comp T/As for daily driving and can squeak tires easily at 40mph in a 10ft radius turn. The set of autoX rubbers on the same turn won't break loose at 55 in the same turn. (never pushed it past that) Be very careful about clearance in the front w/ the 235's, you can shave the rear spacers to fit the rear tires but you might slice the tire using over a 225 in the front.

The 944 has a pretty low center of gravity and I've only heard of one person rolling his 944 off the side of a mountain so yes I guess it's possible.

Umm, loud, very loud.

Oil in the intake tract could mean a lot of things or nothing. i have little experience in this so I'll leave it to someone else.

There's a page floating around showing the various adj bolts and what they do. Do a search and i'm sure you'll find it.

You will destroy the Ring and pinion if you enjoy hard launches. Don't worry cause you almost have to remove the tranny to install a new clutch.

Once again you'll snap the ring and pinion before the front end gets in the air.

Personal comments:
Peeling out at a stopsign = you probably wont blow the tranny as quickly w/ tires that lose grip. Get it out of your system on those tires, then get some grippy tires.

Side pipes don't look tacky? OMG

Your tires will break traction, or you will break suspension. You may wish to invest in a set of sway bars if your car feels unsettling.

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

that's a 2" magnaflow cat. 3 would be too big make sure you specify your exact model car, as the universal magnaflows are too big, porsche cat is tiny compare to your average converter...
Old 06-20-2004, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yeah the wheel stand thing made me laugh when my friend asked me, but intrgued me nonetheless.

I bought new rims since i needed new rear tires becuase my bearings just snapped and destroyed them. I decided to buy wider ones and put wider tires on them. I bought them for more traction. I have yet to drive it in the rain, but the only RWD i have owned was a mustang and i am a little paranoid with another RWD car. I cant begin remember how many time i have hydroplaned, spun out, and not been able to stop in that thing. (It was a 95 lx-v6) It wasnt my driving that limited that car, that car just didnt want to grip the road for anything.

I would seriously like to get into some road racing or even rally (not with the 944 of course). The 944 has yet to scare me as far as losing control of it, but i will admit i won't push it further because i question my abilities as a driver. I know there was a turn marked for 30mph,, non banked, barely two lanes wide, no shoulders, and open fields on both sides. I live out in the country. This i took at 110 chasing an 03 cobra (which i caught and passed ) in my vr4 and that began to scare me becuase i could hear the tires over my straight pipes. Same with the cobra's. I have take this turn at 120, progressively of course, and noticed much more traction in the 944 so i only ask because i know at some point this thing will roll.

I practice my own driving and race conditions out where i live because there is practically no one and the roads are excellent since they just repaved them. I live in Sandtown is anyone is wondering. It's the most rural part of DE. It might sound irresponsible, but it's not too bad. All the roads are visible since there are no hills and just open fields. There are very few cars on these roads ever and if there are you can seem them from a mile or so away.

I know the stock exhaust is fine, it's quiet, but i mine is really worn out, and i hate single side exhaust systems. If it were less noticeable it wouldnt bother me that much but it just sticks way out.

I don't peel out on a regular basis, i was just seeing my my trans was an LSD which i still can't figure out.

I jack it up, spin the wheels they move opposite
I put it in gear and drive it on stands and they both move forward
I peel out it leaves two very distinct, curved (from sideward sliding) tire marks
I go around a turn peeling out and it leaves one tire mark, the inside.

I just dont know

Black on Black leather
Digital Dash
Enkei 15x7's

AIM - ShawnMacAnanny
Old 06-20-2004, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Used & Abused

No LSD, and hey, that's my line!

Old 06-20-2004, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Siberian
that's a 2" magnaflow cat. 3 would be too big make sure you specify your exact model car, as the universal magnaflows are too big, porsche cat is tiny compare to your average converter...
I havent checked the stock porsche cat, but mine looks like it's atleast 3 feet long. What are these worth if i sell them? Would i be able to sell my muffler as well? I just really like the exhaust systems this guy does so if i do decided to do exhaust work, it will all be doen at once by him.

I have a local muffler shop who has done several exhausts for me. If i were doing exhaust i would install ceramic coated headers at the same time then have him build me a system from the headers back. He uses 14 gauge aluminum pipes which are pretty awsome.

The side pipes wouldnt be like old camaro or corvette side pipes. They would be more like Roush or something. Just the tips visible and be flat, low profile. I just dont think i will be able to fit pipes in the rear by the gas tank.

Also i have to replace my front bumper since the bottom lip is broken off. Any suggestions for different bumpers, if any, or if i should use a turbo one?

Black on Black leather
Digital Dash
Enkei 15x7's

AIM - ShawnMacAnanny
Old 06-20-2004, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
I might be interested in the muffler if it is stock.
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 06-20-2004, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
If you want a drag car, get a Mustang or a Corvette. If you want the best handling in the world, good top end speed and adequate acceleration, then your 944 will fit the bill.

These cars are a total joy to drive, but MAKE SURE the maintenance is done. They are NOT forgiving of neglect.

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-20-2004, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Well which tires will make it better handling? I didnt buy it for a drag car, actually i didnt even buy it for anything other than fuel ecconomy.

Yeah i need to replace the timing belt. Thats just something i do on every used car i buy. This looks alot easier then my previous 24v DOHC Twin Turbo AWD set up.

The last two cars i owned were for performance so i was very meticulous with maintenace.

timing belt as soon as i purchase the car (once year)
hubs/bearings as soon as purchased (every 50k miles)
water and oil pump if not already new (once every two years)
cooling and oil systems flush (every 20k)
20+oz of sea foam in the intake (every 20k)
10+oz of sea foam in the oil (500 miles before every oil change)
entire bottle of sea foam in the gas tank (every 5k)
bleed brake lines (every pad change)
change transaxle fluid (every year)
grease all fittings (every couple oil changes)
air filter (every 15k)
oil and filter change (every 3k)
tire pressure (every weekend)

And a few other things

yes the muffler is stock and the pipe work is in excellent condition. The tip is just discolor or needs to be cleaned/polished.

Black on Black leather
Digital Dash
Enkei 15x7's

AIM - ShawnMacAnanny
Old 06-20-2004, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

For being 17 you sure had a few top notch cars...Wish I had your parents when I was 17
Old 06-21-2004, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Imwithstupid^
I would seriously like to get into some road racing or even rally (not with the 944 of course). The 944 has yet to scare me as far as losing control of it, but i will admit i won't push it further because i question my abilities as a driver. I know there was a turn marked for 30mph,, non banked, barely two lanes wide, no shoulders, and open fields on both sides. I live out in the country. This i took at 110 chasing an 03 cobra (which i caught and passed ) in my vr4 and that began to scare me becuase i could hear the tires over my straight pipes. Same with the cobra's. I have take this turn at 120, progressively of course, and noticed much more traction in the 944 so i only ask because i know at some point this thing will roll.

I practice my own driving and race conditions out where i live because there is practically no one and the roads are excellent since they just repaved them. I live in Sandtown is anyone is wondering. It's the most rural part of DE. It might sound irresponsible, but it's not too bad. All the roads are visible since there are no hills and just open fields. There are very few cars on these roads ever and if there are you can seem them from a mile or so away.
Please don't do that!

Driving at such high speeds on public roads, no matter how 'barren' they seem is just dangerously stupid.

Try your hand at autocross, or get involved with your Porsche Club region's driver's ed program. (Driver's Ed involves you driving your car on a race track at speed - it ain't your high school driver's ed program for sure! )

Hard launches will most likely kill your CV joints before your tranny or Ring pinion go. CV joints are a little cheaper to replace than trannies and R&P's, but you really want to limit the number of smokey burnouts done with a 944, if you desire to NOT break things!

Nevertheless, congrats and welcome to the world of the 944!
-Z-man.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 06-21-2004, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I bought the cars myself with little to no help. My dad bought me my mustang in advance which i paid off in 2 months over the summer it was $2,700. I sold that for $4,300 and bought my VR4 for $3,500. I used the rest of the money for parts and some work. I totalled that car and made enough the first day parting it out to buy my 944. Parts now total over $3k so i have had plenty to fix up the 944. I havent had to borrow or ask for money from my parents since the day i got my mustang.

I would autocross or something but there are no tracks anywhere. There is Dover Downs, the NASCAR track and that's it. There is a drag strip about an hour and a half away, but they are no fun.

Black on Black leather
Digital Dash
Enkei 15x7's

AIM - ShawnMacAnanny
Old 06-21-2004, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
How did you total your VR4? (Just curious....)

In terms of autocross, check with the Delaware region PCA:
http://www.delawarepca.org/
Looks like they autocross with the Brandywine Motorsports Club, but they don't have anything going on in 2004 yet....

Also check SCCA.org and NASA for local autocross happenings.

As far as tracks go, you are within 'striking distance' from a couple of world class tracks: VIR (Virginia Int'l Raceway) and Summit Point in W.VA. Also: Pocono Internation isn't that far either. Plus while still in the planning stages, there is a track they are building in Millville, located in South NJ:
http://www.nj.com/news/bridgeton/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1086168035181600.xml

Do enough digging and you will see there are plenty of motorsport events you can participate in! Saying there are no venues available is a poor excuse to play on public roads.

Glad to hear that the 1/4 mile doesn't interest you!
-Z-man.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 06-21-2004, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

i swerved for a dead cat wasnt even being stupid. I'm not exactly sure how it happened but i was doing aout 55mph and my friend was following me she said i was stright in the opposite lane for a while then my rear end hopped up and i slid sideways which i held for about 300ft until i hit the ditch which is where i remember from becuase i jerked the wheel left and locked up the wheels to get it to spin. a 3,900lb car isnt something you want directly slamming into anything. i know i had pushed the clutch in when i swerved for the cat, then i took it out of gear when i was sideways and just put my head against the head rest. I have pics 10 minutes after the accident if you want to see any. I was stuck about 3ft in the air between two trees

Black on Black leather
Digital Dash
Enkei 15x7's

AIM - ShawnMacAnanny
Old 06-21-2004, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Used & Abused

I'd love to see this!

Old 06-21-2004, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

That would have been i flat cat if i had been driving!

Pics....you bet
Old 06-21-2004, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

whoever has a cable modem send me their email. I have a 56k so i will send the entier folder (1.7mb winrar) to one person to host or distribute. There are 80+ pics. I have a pic of the cat too. I am kicking it wearing my 70's disco 'fiesta' bell bottoms. They are my lucky pants i crawled out of the car without a scratch and car started right back up. of course the transmission bellhousing snapped completely in half and off of the block but it still ran.

Black on Black leather
Digital Dash
Enkei 15x7's

AIM - ShawnMacAnanny
Old 06-21-2004, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

LSD is check-able by the option code listing in the spare tire well. It is option code 220.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 06-21-2004, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: