Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rough Accel and Decel.

I have a very old 944 with high miles. The engine runs perfectly without a tic but the transmission is a bit rough. If I start to accelerate and then I let off of the throttle the car surges. It feels like it has excessive play in the drivetrain. The whole car surges and it makes me look like a total idiot as if I let the clutch out really abruptly on a down shift or something. I think that the problem maybe severely worn CV assemblies but I am not sure. The car does not have an accessive vibration, just this really rough shudder when I let off the throttle or step back on it. Any advice?
Old 08-05-2004, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

happens in mine also, i read somewhere that one possible cause is down to chunks of a disintegrating rubber clutch center causing things to stick and not operate smoothly...

But this would depend on you having a rubber centred clutch.. If you search the boards you will find a number of ways to check, like pulling the starter and seeing what falls out.. etc.

"Don't listen to me, I dont know what i'm talking about"
Old 08-09-2004, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Good idea. I tried putting the car on blocks to check the play in the driveline and there is definately excessive play in it. It appears to be coming from the transmission. The car does have 200k+ miles on it so I suppose the transmission maybe extremely worn inside.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
new clutch, park it replace clutch flush motor, clean fule rail. add throttle body. install chip from FR wilk.. go find a girl friend.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Can you hear the metal "clang" when you shift or let up on the throttle? That would be the metal safety prongs (whatever they're called) in your clutch engaging since the rubber center in your clutch is gone.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ya it is a clang. Its quite loud too. The trannsmission shifts smoothly, as in it does not bite or grind and doesnt fight me when I try to shift but when I let out on the clutch it makes the sound and then does this bucking as soon as I start to decelerate and then accelerate again. If I let out on the clutch really slowly from say 1st to 2nd it doesnt do it that bad.

Oh and one other thing, I believe the car has been sitting for quite a while before I started driving it as the tires do have some dry rot cracks but they have alot of tread left. I dont know what do you guys think?
Old 08-11-2004, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
That definitely sounds like your rubber has gone. It'll continue doing that until you replace the clutch but shouldn't get much worse if you drive it careful. The backlash can get annoying after a bit, but a new clutch is $$$...
( )'92 Renault Clio 1.4 :

Old 08-11-2004, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yeah, I got pretty good at driving to avoid the clang. I think the prongs will eventually break off, so don't wait too long.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thats good news, I was fearing that it was a SEVERELY beaten transmission. I have learned to drive it in a way that minimizes the instances where it does it. So far the cheapest I have found a clutch is about 320 dollars!! Is that right?
Old 08-11-2004, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: