Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to pureflash Send a message via Yahoo to pureflash
Porsche Crest I have a spark problem

I recently bought an 84' 944 non-turbo that had been sitting for two years. It was not garaged during that time so it had some problems. I've replaced the starter, fuel pump, spark plugs, distributer cap, rotor, all hoses and fluids. The car was starting but not running for more than 10 seconds, dying like it was out of gas. I tested the fuel rail's pressure and it was fine. I pulled the rail and the injectors looked dirty so I cleaned them. When I put it all back together I had no spark from the ignition solenoid. It is getting power and putting out power but no spark. I'm not sure why I had it two days before and the car was starting and now it doesn't. Any ideas? Please I am out of ideas and the manuals I have arent telling me anything. The DME Relay seems fine, there are no burnt spots in the circuit board, and as best I can tell the computer is ok. Someone please have the answer so I can quit borrowing my roomate's car and get myself back on the road. Thanks
Old 08-10-2004, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

same happened to me when I bought my 83. it was sitting for a few years. it started once in a while, then wouldn't start at all.

when you crank the car, look at the tachometer. if it jumps a little when you crank, it will most likely not be the DME or Relay. If there is no movement at all, it is the DME or relay (this was the only differentiating sign I could find).

I replaced my DME (after spending $500 on all other ignition components) for $75 off E-Bay, and it fired up on the first click.

Find someone with a 944 to switch out the DME, it only takes 5 mins to switch, and you'll know if that is the problem quickly.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Porsche Crest Thanks man I'll check it out

Thanks for the heads up. I had thought maybe something with the DME but I wasnt sure how to check it at all. I appreciate the help. Anything else you or anyone else may have would be appreciated. I'm losing my mind over it.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have the same problem! did you get any help? Mine is not starting, the dme is bad, and when I stick in a new dme it still doesnt start, mayeb the relay?
Old 08-24-2004, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Porsche Crest i'm still working on it

From what I can tell if you're dme is bad and you changed it to a good one, but it still doesnt work. It would probably be your relay. An easy fix for the relay is to pull the cover off and re-solder the points. Basically reheat and double the amount of solder on all the solder points of the little relay chip. I still havent gotten another dme so I dont know what my problem is yet. I've researched the crap out of it and found some stuff. I'd check the relay though.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: