Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help.. Vibration/Rattle then sputter/cough ..

Well, just when I think that the 944 is going to remain running for more than a week....

Today, I went to go to the local coffee shop. When I started the car there was a very loud rattle. It sounded like it was an exhaust hanger or something, but it was coming from all over the underside.
As I drove it, it started to get sluggish and continued to rattle. When I was about back to home ( coffee shop 2 blocks away ), it started to bug down hard. It could barely get any power to move.
I parked it and popped the hood. There was severe heat coming from the exhaust manifold, and when I hit the throttle, it sounded like it had a " Bannana in the tailpipe )... so, I went and put my hand at the exhaust tip. There was barely anything coming out.

My wildass guess :
My cat material has broken apart and is causing a blockage ???
or
The head is FUBAR
or
I have no idea and no $$ to get it looked at or fixed.

What say Y'all ..... ?????

Don

Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 08-21-2004, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Blocked cat. Replace it ASAP, you can cook your head with a clogged cat

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 08-21-2004, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yeah, I did some searching and have the " rocks " sound in the exhaust.
I'll just pull it off tomorrow and gut it... (short term ) untill I can get a new one....

Any tips on removing it ???

I have to do it in an Apartment parking space, so I can't get too involved as its against rules to do ANY work on vehicles.

I was going to do the broomstick idea, but there is that bend in the exhaust.

I have some PB Balster somewhere, so I'll start with that sitting a couple hours.
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 08-21-2004, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: