Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rebuilding ball joint

Saw a rebuilding kit for the ball joint of my 951 (cast arms). Set contains the cup/base and a grease boot. My questions: does anyone have experience rebuilding these things? And what sort of grease is advised? Are there any other (read better/cheaper) alternatives?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-06-2004, 02:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

While we are at the topic of suspension bushing etc.

It seems that the rubber that hold the eccentric bolt (4) in the control arm, isn't available at any store. Now, i don't have the car or the parts here, so i can't check what the construction is like. Any info on that part?
Old 10-06-2004, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Actually, that rubber is not a separate piece. It is part of #5 in your diagram. That part is a caster block. If you are replacing, I would suggest upgrading to the 968 unit as it is beefier and has less rubber in it (and is recommended by the factory when running 17" wheels).

As far as the rebuilding of the balljoints goes, it's is fairly easy. It's best if you have a big vise. A dremel tool and a small mechanic's pic also help when removing the old circlips. The first one will take about an hour or so once you have removed the a-arm. The second one will take half that time once you know what you are doing.

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 10-06-2004, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

How do you mean 'that' rubber. I looked at the construction and it seems the eccentric bolt just goes in there without any form of rubber and one the other side the bolt goes into 5 (the caster block). Maybe i've overlooked something.

Also: i took the grease boot of the ball joint and saw a perfectly clean (after removing the grease) ball. So how do you get those things out, they seem pretty much stuck into the a-arm.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by arnebret
How do you mean 'that' rubber. I looked at the construction and it seems the eccentric bolt just goes in there without any form of rubber and one the other side the bolt goes into 5 (the caster block). Maybe i've overlooked something.

Also: i took the grease boot of the ball joint and saw a perfectly clean (after removing the grease) ball. So how do you get those things out, they seem pretty much stuck into the a-arm.
If you are talking about the front side of the eccentric bolt, it just goes into the a-arm. There is no bushing there.

The balljoint is removed from the underside of the a-arm. You have to dig out the factory epoxy sealant around the inner lip and then cut/remove the circlip. A vise is needed to compress the ball joint spring to releive tension on the balljoint lower cap and circlip.

Directions should come with the kit. If not, then go to www.rennbay.com. Travis should have instructions there for his kit, which I assume is similar to yours.

My P-caronline Profile

"A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water. "--
Sidney Goff
Old 10-06-2004, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ok thanks for the great tip so far. I just tested the ball and it all seems pretty neat and thight. But i don't think you can just buy the rubber boot only.. it's a complete package. Would be a waste just to buy the whole set just for the boot...

Old 10-06-2004, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: