Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Which transaxle to use for V8 project?

Okay the subject isn't quite what it sounds. Perhaps some of you are familliar with the Grassroots Motorsports $2006 Challenge. If you're not, in short it's an anything goes race (drag, auto-x, show), but the most you can spend on the entire car is the same as the year ($2006).

I've got a car, not a porsche, and am looking for engine/trans options. Leaning heavily towards Ford 302. Anyway I'd like to use a mid-engine transaxle for weight distribution reasons. I came across a 924 transaxle and notice it had what appeared to be a bellhousing. I can only assume this was a 4 speed or a 016/9 , supposed to be similar case to 4 speed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was wondering was this transmission used on a different car that had the engine & trans directly connected. What about part interchangeability with other trans? Maybe a different bellhousing, to allow for clutch control, or does the rear bellhousing just have block off plates? I can take care of the 302 adaptor plate.

These maybe simple questions, but I'm not very familiar with porsches. Be gentle. Shaun
Old 01-22-2006, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
meister member

Garage
I am not sure about the tranny but I think the motor was also used in a VW vanagon, Audi an some domestic car I can't recall. What is this going into? i would wonder how long the 4 speed 924 tranny would hold up to 220 + HP considering the original 924 was 95-115 HP. You best bet would be a 951 tranny with LSD. They are good for 400 HP.

Sounds like a cool project. Goodluck.

Speedy
Favorite Road = www.tailofthedragon.com 318 turns in 11 miles (11 min 20 sec best run)
Old 01-22-2006, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to BananaClip
a v8 would grind that 4-speed to dust, if that's what you're asking
Old 01-22-2006, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. To answer you questions, the idea of this project is cheap. It only has to last one weekend. More would be nice, but not required. 951 sounds nice but what about $$$. Also I think I was abit unclear as to how I wanted to use this, basically eliminate the torque tube and mate the engine directly to the transaxle. Engine in front of rear axles for better weight distribution & moment of inertia. I've got alot of freedom on overall layout and configuration, only limited to budget. Please feel free to suggest other alternatives to achive this same layout, cheaply.

What's it going in? You'll just have to wait and see We are quit secretive about these thing. I assure you it will stand out.

Last edited by toyokogyo12atur; 01-23-2006 at 09:04 AM..
Old 01-23-2006, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rmills944 Send a message via Yahoo to Rmills944
A 951 tranny would be best for the price... a 968 tranny would be too pricey for this application. I'm not sure a 944 would be the ultimate car for a "cheap but fast" project.

I hear a 302 will fit a miata though!
Old 01-23-2006, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

So is it possible to mate the and engine directly to the 951 transaxle (914 style configuration). Thats what I'm aiming for.

Don't worry the 944 will not be used just a few driveline components, maybe. I was just looking for transaxles and thought od Porsche.

This is the wrong forum, but what kind of lubrication issues do you run into when turning a 911 transmission upside down and around?

Thanks again. Shaun.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Just FYI, I'm sure I've seen SBC V-8 914's. I'd look into what tranny was used for those projects.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to BananaClip
Probably a 915 or 930 with the R&P flipped over and first gated off (915 only). That's what Renegade does with their conversions. The 914 transaxle is just a little too weak to handle one of those engines, and first on 915 is likewise too weak.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to toolboy62 Send a message via Yahoo to toolboy62
what about an Audi Coupe GT transaxle? are they strong enough for a F**d motor?

nate
Old 01-23-2006, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Theoretically, you could mate the 016R Tranny to the motor. The torque tube just has a drive shaft in it and the end of the shaft comes within about 5mm of touching the same exact shaft end coming out of the transaxle. Inside that bell housing is a sleeve or coupler that slides over both shafts and is tightened with two hex bolts to ~65 ft-lb.

I'm not sure how you will deal with the pressure plate and the clutch assembly. It all fits in the other end of the torque tube's bell housing at the engine side. It is like this (A little ASCII art!):

|motor||flywheel;pp;clutch|>---ttube---< - coupler - >transaxle

Hope this helps.

-g

Last edited by geoffbaltz; 01-23-2006 at 03:56 PM..
Old 01-23-2006, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I just checked under a friend's 931. From below the engine & trans appear to have the same bolt pattern. Additionally, the transaxle's bell housing has a bulg for a starter, in the same location on the engine the a block off plate covers a hole for a starter. The started was then relocated to the torque tube bell housing above appears to be the clutch slave cylinder.

Was the case used on another car?
Old 01-25-2006, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: