Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Has anyone removed O- Turbo cooler f block

My 944 race car is getting a little water in the oil. Im wondering if i correctly installed the Turbo oil cooler housing to the block. When i removed my old stock (944) oil/water heat exhanger, i pulled the short metal tube from the block, replaced the 2 green oil-ring gaskets, then put on a new gasket to the whole unit. Did I miss something??? Was there anything else.

Please do not answer this post unless you have had experience replacing a 944 TURBO oil cooler unit, dont need guesses just facts. Thanks

Old 05-19-2006, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
That's all there is to change. The N/A's use a few more of the pieces, that's why the kit has so many left-overs.

Water in the oil is slightly unusual, since normally the oil system is at a higher pressure. That means the mixing is happening after the engine is shut off (providing it is indeed coolant in the oil).

If you are not certain that it is coolant, then many parts stores sell anti-freeze test strips for checking your oil for ethylene glycol.

Is there any chance it is condensation or something else (fuel?)

Buy my parts!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Actually whats happening is water in the oil. When you unscrew the oil filler cap there is white residue inside the cap. Since its a race car i run straight water (no anti-freeze green color). The engine is new (new headgasket) so the only thing I can think of is the oil cooler assembly is somehow seeping. The block and head were pressure tested, so its neither of these.

The one thing I did not do was coat the gasket with grease or oil, someone told me to do this but it seemed wrong.

ANy thoughts....
Old 05-19-2006, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Could it be condensation???, I guess it could be but Ive never heard of an engine producing it. It happens everytime I unscrew the oil cap. Has anyone else noticed a white haze inside the oil cap????
Old 05-19-2006, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
My 87 did the exact same thing...water in the oil and not the other way around. If there was anything in the cooling system, it wasn't much. Same as yours I had the milky stuff on the oil cap and when I ran the engine, the oil was milky caramel color. Currently resealing whole motor as all seals appear to be original and I don't like oil leaks of any kind. But mine is an N/A, not sure that would matter on oil cooler seals though. Oil will make NO difference on the seal, grease will make a small difference but not if there is much pressure. Sometimes, engines do have condensation in the crankcase, but it's usually in humid climates and it's still not much. I'm going with you on the oil cooler seals or possibly a head gasket but if it's not overheating the chances of it being a head gasket are less likely. Head gaskets can still leak between the oil and water jackets and not hit the compression chambers, but that is not as likely....it's usually high compression that blows head gaskets.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually
Old 05-19-2006, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

But I dont have any milky stuff when I pull the dipstick, only on the inside of the cap. Its wierd, dont know if its just a little maybe just leave it alone.....
Old 05-19-2006, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
If it's only on the inside of the cap, then it is condensation and is nothing to worry about.
Wipe it out each time you see it, and see how fast it comes back.
If the oil on your dipstick looks milky, then start worrying.
With no antifreeze in the cooling system, it should be very obvious if there is oil in the coolant.

Buy my parts!
Old 05-19-2006, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Will work for parts

Send a message via AIM to 944 boy
my friends '44 had the same thing. Thick white goo at the filler and not on the dipstick. We were chasing some other problems and this seemed to happen at the same time. It turns out that there was about 3 extra quarts of oil in the motor. We did an oil change again (this time us, not a drive thru) and the problem seemed to go away. related? dunno but it was confusing as we were also chasing a coolant leak at the same time.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
My dipstick isn't milky either until I start driving. Drive it for a few minutes then check it..maybe even while it is still running. When mine is cold and I check it...nice clean looking oil. Then start it and run it a few minutes and the clean looking oil turns colors. If it doesn't, then there may be nothing to worry about as Zero suggested. The other thing you could do is pull the oil drain plug and see if there is any water runs out....it will come out first because water is heavier than oil.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually
Old 05-19-2006, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: