Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Deplorable Member

Garage
Electrical gurus - another question

The following items just spontaneously stopped working on my 85.5 944 - all of them were working before.

1. Power sunroof
2. Power windows
3. Clock (yes, it actually worked to begin with)
4. Power mirrors
5. Glove box light
6. Overhead (dome) light
7. Rear hatch light
8. Rear hatch popper
9. Turn signals

All other stuff works that I can tell. Oddly the hazards work but the turn signals don't.

I've checked the appropriate fuses & relays and obvious stuff (battery is charged, +12v available at all terminals,I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things to check before I start chasing these down circuit-by-circuit and wasting hours of my time. . . Maybe someone has had this happen before? Since there are so many things failed at once, I figure it's got to be something kind of obvious or a "shared" kind of connection. I'll check a few of the items tonight by putting 12v across 'em and seeing if they work, but just figured I'd tap the wisdom of those others out there as well. . .

Thanks in advance.

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-19-2006, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Connections on your central electrics are becoming corroded?
Fuse connections dirty?
Grounds corroded?

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-19-2006, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Razorback1980
I would clean the connections at the battery, starter solenoid as well as the main grounds. I guess the first thing is to check the voltage at the power side of the fuses for 12V. If you do, then check your grounds.

1990 944S2 Cabriolet
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2003 Maroon Ford F350 dually
Old 06-19-2006, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Okay I'll check all that. Just as an FYI I recently disassembled and reassembled the master electrical block to clean it and so forth as part of diagnosing another unrelated problem. It's possible, though unlikely that the problem is related to that (I checked all the connections on the bottom and they're all secure and tight and I checked all the "holes" for fuses & relays on the top and they all have copper contacts in 'em. There's really only one way it can go back together anyway. It's just weird that so much stuff would go "inop" at once. Maybe I'll pull the block again just to be sure. . .

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-19-2006, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If all that quite at the same time, one of the grounds is not grounded. Check and clean all your grounds and I would bet your problem will be solved.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
I sorta' thought about that already - I cleaned and checked all the grounds I've had easy access to - the ones on either side of the front of the engine bay, the one under the dash, the one in the rear for the back lights, etc. I also checked those with a multimeter and got zero ohms from there to the negative battery terminal, so I know those ones are okay.

The other thing that's odd is that the non-functioning stuff is kinda' scattered all over the car, so it's unlikely they share a common ground. I'll check the diagram to confirm this however. Could be. . .

The really odd thing is that the hazards work and the directionals don't. That seems to preclude a grounding problem, but again - I need to get the wiring diagrams out to confirm this. . .

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-19-2006, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: