Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
alternator/ charging problem.

seems like i'm always doing something to my alternator. it was rebuilt about 8 months ago.
so, i'm cruisin about town on a hot night, and the red light comes on! get home, and put meter over the battery. 8.5 volts. after about a half hour or so, i start the car, and i see 14.5 volts on the meter now. i check all connx at alternator/ battery. all good. so what i'm finding is that at cold start up, and for maybe an hour or so, all is well. but if i stop the engine, and re-start, the warning light on the dash comes on, and there is a a no-charge situation!.
i'm thinking the regulator pack. maybe something is getting hot, due to a cold solder joint, and going high resistance, or something like that. i'm not good with electrickery, so it may even be a thermo switch, if one is fitted too. i have no clue.
anyone got any ideas where to start looking. i have already dispatched the alternator to be checked/ regulator pack replaced!
this is messing up my weekend crusing!
bob.

2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
On later models, the alternator output is not wired straight to the battery.
From the alternator, it goes to the starter post, then to the battery. Not sure about early models though.
Anyway, I would check for loose, corroded positive cable termination between the alternator and battery first before replacing parts.
2018 Suburban Z71
Old 07-03-2006, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
All of the early 944's charging circuit goes from the alternator to the starter then through the large cable to the battery. One needs to clean ALL of the wires at the battery posts AND the ground connections between the battery, chassis and engine. Remember that the negative side of the alternator grounds to the engine.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
many thanks. i will check wiring at the starter, as all connx at alternator, and battery are good.
bob.

2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: