Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

wants to run when key's turned off

Hi Folks,
I've checked out these forums many times before, but this is my first posting. I'm glad there are places like this to help and get help!
I have a 1983 Porsche 944 that I love to drive. I've completed restoring her interior and am almost finished with her exterior.
Recently, I've had a problem with the engine not wanting to immediately turn off when I pull the key out of the ignition. This started about a week and a half ago and happens about 5% of the time, but it's still a problem. Does anybody have any suggestions of what the problem could be? Thanks, Mike

Old 07-08-2006, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

does it die eventually? or stay running?

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 07-08-2006, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It turns off after a second or three. It makes a "bogging" sound and then stops. Kinda embarrassing...

Last edited by SpidrVII; 07-08-2006 at 03:02 PM..
Old 07-08-2006, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Put it in gear, put your foot on the brakes and dump the clutch.

Run on means that there is a fuel leak or the car is running rich and leaving carbon deposits. Check all of the small vacuum lines going to the fuel rail. If they are leaking then the fuel pressure regulator is running rich. Could also be a leaking injector. That is the pintal is not sealing and fuel is leaking past it. Have to pull the fuel rail with the inectors, lay it on some rags and run the fuel pump to pressurize the rail. You will see a leaking injector.

Other reasons that the engine would run rich: Bad O2 sensor, bad engine DME temp sender, bad AFS.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-08-2006, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks a million! I've dumped the clutch a couple of times. ;-)
Would you say that I should check all of these in the order that you've listed until I find the solution? Or should I check them in a different order?
Old 07-08-2006, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
No particular order. But I would start with pulling the fuel rail and checking the ends of the injectors for leaking under pressure. You can run your fuel pump with a simple jumper between aux fuse #2 and #3.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-08-2006, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thank you very much for the info! I'll get with my mechanic friend and take care of the situation! Again, thank you! Mike

Old 07-08-2006, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: