Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Weekend Project Pics - Koni Inserts

I installed Koni Inserts this weekend in my 1988 944. Cutting the old struts and installing Koni inserts was the only M474 option for my year. Unless I wanted to plunk down $475 per side to get a complete strut asembly.

I got everything from 944online.com and the guy working there told me all the steps needed to do this project. It turned out to be very easy, however, it took about 5 hours to complete.

I've posted some photos below. I will have to post in increments as the Pelican site won't let me upload all in one shot. Hopefully, this will help anyone thinking about doing this project.

The new Koni inserts are great. I had the car aligned this morning and the difference from stock is amazing - much, much firmer (even on the softest setting). I also installed adjustable Koni rear shocks.

Original Struts:

Scribe Original Alignment Settings before Removal:

Compress Springs for Removal:

Compare Old vs. New:

Measure Markings on New Struts per Koni Instructions (they were 56mm from top of cartrige):

Continued in next post.....
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R

Last edited by Tidybuoy; 03-26-2007 at 02:09 PM..
Old 03-26-2007, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
more Photos:

Koni Instructions for Cutting (cut line must be 6mm less than the markings on new strut (50mm)

Measure Old Strut for Cutting (50mm from top):

Scribe Line for Cutting:

Comparing Old vs. New before Cutting:

Find Center Point on Bottom of Strut and Punch Hole:

Last edited by Tidybuoy; 03-26-2007 at 02:20 PM..
Old 03-26-2007, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
More Photos.............

Drill 3mm Hole in Bottom of Old Strut and Drain:

Cut Old Strut:

Comparing Old vs New:

Drill 14mm Hole in Bottom of Old Strut:

Install New Cartridge and Admire the Finished Job:

Bottom of Strut with New Cartridge Bolted In PLace:

Install Back Into Car:

Last edited by Tidybuoy; 03-26-2007 at 02:16 PM..
Old 03-26-2007, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The Finished Product:

Adjust to Desired Firmness:

The New Struts are firm. I have set on the softest setting and it's like night & day from the original. The car won't lean and when pushing down on the front bumper, I can barely get it to move. On "Firm" I can't get any movement and I weight 200lbs.

My original plan was to paint the old strut housing Koni Yellow which I believe is "Schoolbus Yellow". However, I didn't notice that my yellow paint was different until I had already started the project. So, I decided to stick with black.

That's it...................Vern

Last edited by Tidybuoy; 03-26-2007 at 02:23 PM..
Old 03-26-2007, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

have you got any instruction as to what you're doing in the pics? not ever having done that, i know i'd appreciate it just to learn.

2008 Mini Cooper // '83 Porsche 944 // '01 Mazda Protege [sold] //
"Never break more than you fix!" - SoCal Driver
Old 03-26-2007, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I will go back and edit my posts.

I initially labeled all of the pics and posted in one shot and then the pelican system told me I had too many photos. Check back in 5 minutes.

Vern
Old 03-26-2007, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Nice pictorial.......
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 03-26-2007, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

Yeah, very nice pictorial, thanks!
Old 03-26-2007, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Custom User Title

sweet, Im planning on doing the same soon. How many miles on the old stuts?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
My old struts are originals and only have 19K miles. But, they are still 19 years old and I felt like the grip needed improvement - the new ones grip very well.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I'm about to replace my struts too. Your write up and pics will definitely help. Good job man! Anyone doing CV's anytime soon? :-)
Old 03-27-2007, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Well, it's been three days since the install. My initial impression was semi-good. I thought the ride might be too harsh compared to the originals. But, now that I've been driving for three days - I definately like it. When you say turn, the car turns. No tire squeel around sharp on/off ramps like it used to do. It definately feels like I can take a turn at a much faster rate without any grip problems. As far as the harshness - either the car springs settled or I was just shocked at the difference from the orig squishyness.

I also think the alignment helped. When it was on the rack, the camber and caster were near dead on and didn't need any adjustment (so scribing the originals definately helped), but the toe was off and the wheels needed to be pointed inward just a hair. This was a pre-existing condition as the car tended to wander a bit. Now that the toe is set correctly, the car tracks perfectly straight and returns to center perfectly.

After three days, I find myself driving all over town because the car is fun to drive again.....hmmm, is it lunch time yet.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Next time take the whole strut out including the top bushing THEN use the spring compressors. Much easier than fiddling with them under the car inside the wheel well.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
The only reason I didn't take the whole assembly out (including the top bushing is because I didn't want to mess with the alignment settings. It was actually very easy to remove from within the wheel well as I had an air compressor and air ratchet - the springs were compressed in a couple of minutes.

I didn't replace the top bushing/bearing since my car only has 19k miles on it and I am assuming this is still in good condition - and those bearings are really expensive.

The whole project was much easier than I was expecting. The 944 strut setup is very simple compared to other cars that I have worked on.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
The alignment is in the spindle to the strut and the a-arm to the chassis. There is no alignment adjustment at the top of the strut. When I remove struts for cartridge replacement I also leave the spindles on. Taking the spindles off the struts even when you mark them, requires a realignment. I also leave the a-arms on the chassis.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 03-27-2007, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
That's good to know. The Koni instructions are the most confusing instructions I have ever seen - the whole thing is pictures (no words) and it begins with a picture of a marking line at the top of the strut bearing & down the spring.

Anyway, it was still easy to do. I can see how pulling the whole strut assembly would be helpful because on my '88 BMW, there were several washers which needed to be kept in order - the 944 did not have any washers on top of the strut so it was easy to keep everything straight.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

well you got my attention
so i did the math for all four corners all koni
replaceing everything 530.00 pretty good price
considering the original cost of over 1200
Old 03-27-2007, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I paid a little more than that ($149 ea for the rear + $195 ea for the front + $27 ea for the bump stops + $30 ea for the dust boots = $805 total). The bump stops and dust boots were ridiculously expensive considering what they are but my old ones were not re-usable.

Also, the price varies depending on the year of your car (I'm not sure why). Just be sure to get the right parts for your year - 87-88 are different than all of the earlier cars.

I got to tell you, it was worth it. I put on new tires about 2 months ago and the car still felt a little sloppy. But with the new suspension, it feels like a brand new car (correction...brand new Porsche). The ride is firm but quiet over the bumps....it just feels good. I am expecting a speeding ticket within the next few months.

Last edited by Tidybuoy; 03-28-2007 at 01:37 PM..
Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Icey1174
Awesome info! I wish I knew it two weeks ago. I just bought the strut assemblies. If you have the time and willingness, could you forward your info to Clark's Garage? I think it would make a great addition to their site! This would save a lot of people a lot of money.

Awesome work!
'03 S-Type Jag 3.0
'03 Taurus SES
'06 Eddie Bauer Explorer

RIP SoCal
Old 05-11-2007, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Icey1174
If you have the time and willingness, could you forward your info to Clark's Garage? I think it would make a great addition to their site! This would save a lot of people a lot of money.

Awesome work!
+1
'05 Jeep Liberty
'98 Acura Integra
Old 05-11-2007, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: